hero 3 white edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pedo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is the white version sufficient for shallow Caribbean diving? Is the black edition a must?

The black has a few extra perks but in terms of video quality I don't think the difference is notable, or even observable. My mates have all different colour gopros and all our footage looks identical. If you were planning on editing the video using some hardcore extreme editor it might be a different story.
Don't forget to buy a red lens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had read that the black had better low light capability but was not sure on how much better. Would it be better to save money on the Hero and put it into lights? I am not looking at doing more than recording my dives for my own enjoyment during dry spells and maybe showing my land dwelling wife what goes on during a dive.

I had read that the black had better low light capability but was not sure on how much better. Would it be better to save money on the Hero and put it into lights? I am not looking at doing more than recording my dives for my own enjoyment during dry spells and maybe showing my land dwelling wife what goes on during a dive.
Problem with lights is that they have a limited effective range. Even if you spent BIG money on very powerful lights, they would still only illuminate several feet in front of you during the day since it's hard to compete with ambient sunlight. Using a red filter is far more effective during day light dives and the filter is effective over much farther distances and far cheaper that lights. So low light sensitivity is always a plus while lights are good in dark places.

I wouldn't recommend the white editon personally. At least go with a Silver 3+ if the Black 3+ is more money than you would like to spend. The Auto Low Light is good but in reality it only manages this by automatically dropping the frame rate to increase the amount of light let in. Simple but effective. If your not in a constantly changing light environment, you could just lower the frame rate to get better low light footage.

However, if the light is changing, the 3+ Black will change frame rate with it.

thanks. I guess I will have to think about spending some more money.

I've taken the white to 25m in the UK. Video quality was fine

No difference in video quality

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom