Hero 2 Field of view Flat port OEM housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that it is 170 degrees as the wide default. It can be changed to 2 more narrow view when you change the resolution to 1080 but the manual doesnt say what degree the narrower views are.

hi Byrdie
I know that is 170 on land but when you put it in water it reduces, I was wondering if anyone knows what is the field of view underwater?

Basic rule of thumb is that water reduces the view by 25%. In air, the view on the HD2 was approximately 120°x90° in 4:3 modes and 120°x68° in 16:9 modes which reduces to 90°x68° and 90°x51° respectively. The Hero3 will be few degrees wider as the flat lens housing doesn't have a reducing effect on the view like the old dome housing lens did.

I thought in air the Hero2 is 170 in fact it does look like 170 at first glance. Anyway I will do some proper tests tonight in the pool to check it out

The 170° measurement is based on the diagonal width and that is specifically related to the camera lens. The sensor doesn't quite collect the entire image provided by the lens and the bubble lens of the hero2 housing also reduces the total image angle a slight bit reducing the actual image to around 165°

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom