Hero 10 White Balance Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Figured some people would be interested in seeing how well the new Hero 10 performs underwater.

First part is without a filter, you can see my flip the filter in place. The filter is a Backscattter Flip 8 version of the shallow filter.

Highest HEVC bit rate, colors set to flat, and low sharping in camera. Very minimal processing just recompression of 4k120fps footage, though Youtube processes it down to 60fps.

About 60 feet deep off of Jupiter, Florida.

My opinion the non-filtered footage is workable, but the filtered footage is still very close to what I would want.

I have more footage processing, but it will probably be a bit later before Youtube finishes processing it.

An older version of the same test with a Hero 6 in Cozumel.

I just got the 10 but won’t see it until Christmas and won’t dive with it till January. I found this helpful because one YouTuber claimed that the 10’s white balance made filters almost obsolete; this shows otherwise.

Figured some people would be interested in seeing how well the new Hero 10 performs underwater.

First part is without a filter, you can see my flip the filter in place. The filter is a Backscattter Flip 8 version of the shallow filter.

Highest HEVC bit rate, colors set to flat, and low sharping in camera. Very minimal processing just recompression of 4k120fps footage, though Youtube processes it down to 60fps.

About 60 feet deep off of Jupiter, Florida.

My opinion the non-filtered footage is workable, but the filtered footage is still very close to what I would want.

I have more footage processing, but it will probably be a bit later before Youtube finishes processing it.

An older version of the same test with a Hero 6 in Cozumel.
what was your white balance set to in your video?

I did various white balance experiments with my GoPro 9 footage from Cozumel. The red filter is not necessary and makes footage worse. I got good results with WB: auto, small video light, and correction of WB in PowerDirector. I point the paintbrush at something white like my fins and tell it to correct that to white/gray. Then I create a preset and apply the preset to the clips I want tp correct in my timeline. Of course I don't correct surface clips, only underwater clips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom