Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone help with advice. If I purchase a underwater system what are the chances of understanding how to use it in a couple of weeks with no underwater training. I have a Eos7d canon will purchase the housing etc next week, if I can understand it in a couple of weeks. I have never used one before and I will drop about 4 grand on this Dont want to get over to Cozumel and take bad pics thanks Dennis

The main issues here are....First how familiar are with the camera itself? How are your general photo skills? Have you done any reading or studying of how to shoot underwater? Are you buying a system with strobes? Do they shoot TTL? How "mechanical" are you?

In addition a big question is how good of a diver are you, how good is your buoyancy underwater? A camera completely changes they way you dive. I could be difficult to go to Coz, deal with current, keeping a buddy/dive guide in view and learn a new system on the fly, pun intended.

Best to get some pool time, or have a patient buddy sit with you in the shallows while you get things worked out.

IMO deepdiver1 your chances of getting good pics in Cozumel with a couple of weeks pool or land practice are slim to none.

I tell anyone who asks that learning how to take underwater photos on a dive vacation is the wrong time and place. Even if you are familiar with the camera putting in a housing changes all that. Add to that a strobe and you have more to deal with. And in Cozumel the currents are often very strong. Add that to the equation and you have a near impossible task as a new camera diver.

Full auto will be your friend :)
You can shoot much like the little point and shoots..just as easy. You will need a little time getting used to what the camera does in full auto, how to see playback, etc, but their are good intro videos on this. Also, you will need to match up the housing and make sure you are familiar with the controls you will need for shooting full auto....'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom