Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swift1517

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

So, as I'm sure you could tell, I need help.

I'm hoping to go to the Philippines and do some diving between April 29 and May 7 or so. The thing is, I have no idea where to start planning, and I'm looking for suggestions. After trying to research for the past few months, I just keep finding a bunch of different places that all look awesome.

Here are my specific questions:

How expensive/easy is internal travel? (i.e. Manila to Cebu) Is it safe for a single female?

I like fish and coral and other big stuff. Where do you recommend?

What about dive shops/resorts? Any specific ones that give you the best bang for your buck?

Please, any feedback would be great! And hey, if anyone is looking for dive buddies during that time, too...let me know!

Try looking into the possibility of booking for any of the liveaboards doing the tubbataha runs. Its the best in Philippine diving.

Swift, although liveaboards will give you great diving, I'm not sure I'd consider them "best bang for the buck"... There are ots of great destinations there with cheap land based diving... If you want "Value", in my oppinion liveaboards aren't it...:popcorn:

As far as I know, domestic flights can be had for cheap (I've read anything from 30$ to 100$ for Manila-Cebu)...

The PIs are very safe... But as always (any country) there are basic rules to follow (common sense) to stay out of trouble... Like not getting so drunk you pass out... :no::no::eyebrow:

For a good mix of "fish, corral and big stuff" I would suggest:
1- In the Manila area (no extra flight needed), Puerta Galera. It has a great mix of reef, muck, pelagics (I'm talking trevally and such, not sharks and stuff). Plus it's close to Manila...

2- In the Visayas (Cebu), based on my readings here (I've never been :( ), Malapascua would have a good mix (plus sharks and mantas), or Bohol (Balicasag) which has some big schools of jacks and such... In Malapascua, Matt Reed (a regular here) is co-owner of Evolution diving. He has got good feedback form regulars of this forum and I'm sure would be a good choice. There are also other operators that get good feedback from people here...

Jope this helps a bit and that others with more knowledge tahn me will be along to give their 0.02$:coffee:

agree w Codman, but since you only have 9 days suggest you choose one or the other since travel wil already eat up at least 3 of your days. if you will choose Bohol and/or Malapascua teres no need to go to manila

Hi Swift, I'd be happy to help if Malapascua makes it to your list!

Hi everyone!

Here are my specific questions:

How expensive/easy is internal travel? (i.e. Manila to Cebu) Is it safe for a single female? Internal travel is cheap if you go public, but be prepared to wait sometimes when things don't quite go to plan. Private transport can be pricey but is much more reliable/comfortable.

I like fish and coral and other big stuff. Where do you recommend?For big stuff Malapascua will definitely give you the best volume and chance of stuff like sharks and rays, as well as having good coral and macro life. The only other place for big stuff will be Tubbataha and/or Manta Bowl, both which seem a bit pricey.

What about dive shops/resorts? Any specific ones that give you the best bang for your buck? Just shoot me and PM and I'll give you a good deal :D

Please, any feedback would be great! And hey, if anyone is looking for dive buddies during that time, too...let me know!

Thanks everyone! That was some good help to get me started. I've decided on going to Puerto Galera this time. Should be good!

And Matt--thanks for the offer! If I get another chance to come to the Philippines, I definitely want to check out Malapascua and I'll be sure to let you know!

I appreciate the replies. Thanks again, everyone!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom