Help with video settings on Rx100 V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiediver1961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Im so frustrated. Just got back from Bonaire and really reviewed my pictures and videos and I am dissapointed.

I am really struggling with seeing the tiny focus area. Im not even sure I understand the focusing on this camera. I need it as easy as possible and its proven difficult for me. I cant see what is on the screen thru the viewfinder--its just too bright.

Also, the videos. Should I be using the mode dial for this? I understood I could use the red button but the focusing is inconsistent....Ill be filming a fish and it goes in and out of focus which drives me insane! Why does it do this?

I need simple. I typically use the P mode which I know isnt ideal, but its simple. Obviously I need to change.

Any ideas? Im ready to throw thing out the window and go back to Canon.

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it.

While I am not 100% upon that model you should be able to do at least 2 things.

1) turn down the view finder brightness. And the lcd screen while your at it.

2) sounds like you need to turn on focus tracking. It lets you focus on an fish and then follow it. Check your manual or better yet google/ YouTube it for how to.

3) a focus light always helps maintain focus.

Happy snapping!

Are you using video lights? In some waters illumination is low enough that auto focus has trouble maintaining focus on a subject. Here in SoCal that is certainly the case much of the time. In tropical and subtropical areas not so much unless you are diving "deep."

I have the same camera...cam focus tracking on the rx100 v is awesome!

You could really learn a whole lot by spending 20 min reading through the manual, it at least the sections pertinent to your shooting modes.

Easy answer is, start the movie and then hit the middle button to bring up the tracking crosshairs hitting it again to lock focus.
This works fabulously for stills or video.

I am using lights, 2 Ike Vegas. I have read the manual and watched so many videos on you tube and I don’t think I get how to use the focus tracking, and I can’t see the crosshairs underwater.

Tell me this—should I be using the dial on top for movie mode or is the red button while in a/p/m get the same results?

I want everything in focus while shooting a movie. Everything!

I’ll try to post a video here later today so you can see.

Thanks for all the support I am missing something somewhere!

If you use the red button for recording while in A/P/M, it is going to use the exact same settings you have for photo in that particular mode to shoot video which is aperture priority, shutter priority, or manual mode unless you change them after entering that mode. If the subject you are shooting is far away, the same settings might not work because your lights likely don’t reach them and then you would need to set manual white balance to ensure it comes out as you see it. You may also need larger apertures and/or shower shutter speeds to capture more light since you might not be able to use your lights to illuminate, especially when deep.

My RX100 is at home so I can’t remember if the movie mode at top is purely auto but I seem to remember that. Another thing to ensure that your subject is in focus is to ensure that your focus area is set to a wide area. While recording, as others have suggested, use focus tracking. You hit the center round button to bring up a dot or box and you move it until it is over the subject. Sometimes I find it easier to move the camera than to move the dot to align it with my subject as in the case of a juvenile barramundi - their movements are hard to predict.

If you are shooting in A, also make it so that you are shooting in a higher number f-stop (a small aperture). That will help lend itself to more items in focus because of the larger depth of view.

Thank you OOO, you may have just nailed it. I always used the red button to shoot video and I wondered if that had an impact. Here is another thing I noticed.....all my files are .mp4 even though my camera video is set to AVCHD. That isnt right is it? Im not sure why that is. I work on a Mac.

I would have thought that since I was using P mode while shooting pics, that the video would be ok as well.

My other struggle is WB, Most of my ambient light videos were totally green or some weird kind of blue. I used auto but it wasnt good. With good lighting I got pretty good video when it was up close but none of them had everything crisp like I wanted even though I used P mode the whole week. I will be tackling that next.

Attached is a video that reflects most of my horrible videos from the trip LOL.

Many thanks to all who have replied!

@okiediver1961

Grab a tiny slate you can keep on a retractor on a BC. When you go to shoot audio, go do a custom white balance in the menu with it. You’ll get rid of the blue and green problem immediately, all things remaining the same as you have been doing.

That is an excellent idea! Ill see if I can find one on Amazon.

I see different sizes--what size should I get?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom