Help with this SPG gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahn26

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to put together my kit while saving as much money as possible. So I bought this SPG/depth gauge console from Ebay:

1j17yo.jpg

But when I removed the rubber protective cap at the end, I got this:
v6tfvd.jpg

There's tiny little hole in the metal. There's something odd here. Is this what it should be? Shouldn't there be a bigger opening for air to get through?
Do I need to replace this end with some other fitting? I'm very new at this and don't know where to turn to.
Thank you

That's normal. There is very little air flow from the high pressure in the cylinder to your gauge, and it only flows until it is equalized, so a tiny hole is all that is needed. Additionally, if for some reason your gauge leaked, you would only lose your cylinder air at a relatively slow rate.

That's just the way it should be.

Only needs a tiny hole to pressurize the gauge, if the hole was larger, a burst hose would drain the tank very quickly.

Pretty common reaction.

That tiny hole engineered design only keeps you safe until someone cuts your hose with a dive knife in an underwater fight to the death.
Just sayin'........
[video=youtube_share;2-dhP_jSO6I]http://youtu.be/2-dhP_jSO6I[/video]

Chug
Practitioner of ancient American fighting art known as "Gun-Fu."

Chug,
The HIGH pressure hose also has a very small opening, and cutting it off will not empty a cylinder very fast. Now, if you want an impressive bubble display for your death fight, cut a LOW pressure hose.

What everyone else said plus as a side benifet, it also helps keep from damaging the gauge itself by reducing the rate at which the gauge can be pressurized. When you install the gauge, if you look inside the HP port on your reg, you will see the hole is also very tiny in it as well, esp in newer regs. I have seen a few that were so small it was very difficult to find them. They are small for the same reasons.

remember, you've got 3000 psi trying to get throught that small hole, under that kind of pressure, that tiny hole is PLENTY big! Also, there's not really any flow to speak of, it's just measuring pressure, not flowing lots of gas like a LP hose does.

You would be surprised at how small of an opening is in your HP lines.

The thickness is because the strength needed to hold that pressure in.

Back
Top Bottom