Help With Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals:)

Someone just gave me a bunch of stuff and I'm trying to identify if these tanks are any good.

I know there's something about Luxfer and pre 1992 I believe?

3 steel 72's 2 grey / 1 black (2 have J valve's and one has 3/4") Is there anything I could / should do with these? Surprisingly, the J valves feels like they work fine, but I've never messed with J valves before. The 2 grey tanks look in really good shape.

1 Luxfer 92cf (I think this is the "bad alloy"?)
1 Luxfer 30cf (made in 94, so I think ok?)
2 USD sp6498 AL 80's in double setup (I think this is the "bad alloy"?)

Dropbox - New Tanks - Simplify your life

Hi guys and gals:)

Someone just gave me a bunch of stuff and I'm trying to identify if these tanks are any good.

I know there's something about Luxfer and pre 1992 I believe?

3 steel 72's 2 grey / 1 black (2 have J valve's and one has 3/4") Is there anything I could / should do with these? Surprisingly, the J valves feels like they work fine, but I've never messed with J valves before. The 2 grey tanks look in really good shape.

1 Luxfer 92cf (I think this is the "bad alloy"?)
1 Luxfer 30cf (made in 94, so I think ok?)
2 USD sp6498 AL 80's in double setup (I think this is the "bad alloy"?)

Dropbox - New Tanks - Simplify your life

You can replace the Jvalves with Kvalves and dive them. The 1/2" may give you trouble at some LDS however. Or you can just leave the lever on the J down and dive it like it was a K.

I don't think the AL tanks are any good. I can't see if any have Kvalves but if any do you transfer them to the 72s. At least the 3/4" ones.

Only 2 72's have J valves, all the other tanks are K. I "think" the AL ones are no good, but wanted to confirm.

Anybody have 1/2" K valves for sale? I know Leisure Pro has them for $75.

Well despite the years of fake news

Aluminium tanks are good if they pass test and you have an informed filler to fill them

I have an informed filler.....but he's not the brightest (me:))

New 1/2 taper valves are expensive... Just kinda how it is. But there's a good chance the J valves you have are ok (or rebuildable). I use 72s that I run at 2800 to 3000 psi... More air than an AL80 with way better buoyancy characteristics.
I'm not a fan of aluminum tanks in general, so I wont speak to those, other than to do your research on any type of tank you use (even more so if filling yourself).
If you decide you don't like 72s, I know where you can send them! Lol

My LDS told me that the bad alloy aluminum tanks can still be used if they pass hydro and eddy current. They still service those tanks.

They can, but the question becomes, "do you see the value in it?" The extra cost in the eddy test starts to weigh in on the value of the tank. Would I continue to use them without testing and my own compressor? NOPE!

Aside from the current pandemic shortage, aluminum tanks are fairly inexpensive new, so why bother with the issues of these bad alloy tanks?

As to your 72 steels, if they are liner free, they are a nice tank. Yes, the 1/2" valve gives some pause. Don't fear diving a j-valve, just put it in the down position and it is just a tank of air. $70-$100 for new 1/2" k-valves is a tough pill..

I thought the cutoff for the bad alloy was 90, and I'm actually 88 for some brands like luxfer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom