Help with taking underwater pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok..I have a question I have a Canon A70 and i just purchased a u/w housing for it, I will be going to the Keys in about 1 week and i'am all excited to use it...now my question is should i be using it on Manual or Auto????? someone else was kind enough to tell me to use the flash with the diffuser which i will be. any advise or info. would be greatly appreciated. thanks

You will get better photos on manual settings. However, there is a learning curve there. You will have to find a sweet spot for the shutter speeds and F stops. It's a constant learning curve and that's what is great about digital. Take a pic then change the settings accordingly for another then another pic, subject permitting.
I think one of the most important things is setting the manual white balance off a dive slate at the depth and conditions on each dive for non-flash pics. But you have to remember to go back to auto white balance for the strobe shots.
IMHO the most important thing is to know your camera's features and controls like the back of your hand so as to be able to change settings quickly and efficiently as subjects present themselves. If your camera has a personal settings feature, then use them for things like changing back and forth between auto and manual WB.
If you don't feel comfortable using all manual settings for fear of trashing all your pics on this trip then stick with the auto settings this time and perhaps experiment with the manual ones on one of the dives. I would at least get the manual white balance calibration procedure mastered as you will be able to get some good no-flash pics with it.
As for the built in flash pics, stay within 3 feet of the subject. The closer the better. Anything over 3 feet I would use the manual white balance setting w/o the flash.
Best of luck on your trip.

Gilligan's got it pretty much covered. He dives and posts pix daily so he's one of the best sources of info on this board.

The basic rule I follow is if the subject is more than arm's length (roughly 3 feet that G was referring to), I don't bother using the strobe. Exception is if you want to take a silhouette of a diver or boat and just illuminate the immediate foreground. I have 2 u/w cameras that I can set to manual (Oly 4000 and Fuji S2), and they behave almost the same: f/5.6 at 1/125 sec give or take an f stop or shutter speed setting. Take a sample photo and see if it's over or underexposed. If it's overexposed reduce your strobe power by one or two notches. You could also change your f stop or shutter speed, but I find it easier to just leave all that the same and just fool with strobe settings (or move the strobe farther/closer). The closer the subject to the camera, the less strobe power you want. You can try this above water for a feel for things, but lighting above water behaves differently from u/w. The next best thing is taking photos in a pool. Bring down a wooden fish weighted down with something and practice the distance test for your various settings.

This all assumes you've got an external strobe, though. If you're just using the internal strobe, I would recommend not taking any photos more than 2 feet away from a subject. The best shots with an internal strobe are about 1 foot away. On the Olympus 4000, it's easier to change the exposure compensation setting than to fool around with flash intensities or f/stop or shutter speed, so you may want to experiment with that.

Good luck, and have a great time with diving and your camera. And post photos when you get back!

scuba65 - I am going to go a different way here as it sounds to me like this will be your very first time underwater with a camera. All of the advice received so far is fabulous, if a bit overwhelming.

I have been using the Canon A70 since January this year and the Canon A20 before that. I love these cameras and you'll do fine in auto mode. BUT DO learn the manual mode before you go - try about f4 and a shutter of about 1/100 to start and then change from there...on the Canon it is very simply and quick to change settings. I have not learned white balance yet, but it is on my list!

I set mine in macro mode and shoot almost exclusively in that - no matter how far the subject is away. I leave the flash on always except if I want to take a shot of, say, a big school of silvery fish in blue water against the surface. Sometimes I just don't like that really reflective look. Also jellies against the surface don't get the flash.

A good "distance" is just beyond your reach - the subject will be lit by the strobe then.

My batteries last easily for two 60+ minute dives with the screen on and zooming when I need to.

If you need more info let me know! Looking forward to your photos.

Alcina brought up a good point about overwhelming yourself if you're also starting out with scuba diving. If you are new to scuba, or haven't scuba'd in a while and need a refresher, then Auto mode would be the safest. You can get decent photos on Auto. The thing is, we are all divers before photographers whenever we're underwater, and there's no sense in adding tasks with a camera if that compromises your safety while diving.

That said, if you feel good enough about your diving skills that you can go manual, then go for it. The most striking difference I've seen between auto and manual is the color of the water column. In auto shots, the camera will think there's not enough light so it will use a slow shutter speed combined with a wide open f/stop -- this will make the background water look very light blue (or green if in freshwater) and may cause blurring with some subjects because of the subject or your camera moving and the amount of area that is in covered in the depth of field. If you shoot manual, you can force the camera to use a faster shutter speed (reducing blurs) and use an aperture that will allow more to be in focus. The background water will also be a richer, darker blue, which makes for some really stunning contrast. Again, assuming you have the help of an external strobe, otherwise the shots will just be dark in general and you're probably better off shooting auto.

You can get that blue water background without external strobes - you just need to get closer as per Gilligan's suggestion! Helpful trick...while trying to teach myself where my minimum focus distance was etc I measured it out and drew a black line on my forearm...I had this durn line for four days and I practiced. Now my brain "sees" the line and I don't go too close...usually!

I took several shots of this but I ended up liking this lighter blue background a bit better than the darker blue from a faster shutter speed. f4 @ 1/200 Oly 5050 internal strobe macro setting

Very good, alcina. Reminds me of the fanning of a peacocks tail.

BTW....I agree with them!

I also own an A70. Just one thing to add. For your first dives with the camera recommend you use it in P mode, instead of Auto. P lets you control some settings, like forcing the iso to 50 for cleaner (less noisy pics). Learn these settings.

Also use macro mode and get close, leaving camera at wide end (35mm) you can focus very close (5cm). Internal strobe is good here. Once you are getting the hang of this switch to Av (aperture priority) mode, and now you can get excellent depth of field for all those close shots.

Dont worry about shutter for now if your using the flash. Shutter only controls the ambient light. if using the flash the A70 seems to default to 1/60th which is fine because it is dark underwater and the exposure only occurs while the flash is firing (very short time).

click here - this was taken with internal flash (manual mode)

Oh, my god that is so much info. to absorb, but all sounds very good to me. No, i'm not a new diver..i've been diving for about 12 yrs. now, but just got into taking pictures.well, starting to take pictures. Just a month ago did Grand Cayman with a Sea&Sea camera that a friend let me use...the pictures didn't come out that great so that's why i went ahead and bought the u/w case for my digital Canon A70 like i mentioned...so, i'm hoping to get some better pictures of this trip. will post some if i get good ones...all cross your fingers. and thank you all for the wonderful hints and info.

Back
Top Bottom