Help With PT-010 Strobe Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
I have studied the previous posts in regards to strobe options for the PT-010 and 3030/4040 setup and have narrowed the selection down (I think) to a INON D-180S from YUZO at UWDIGITAL.

Couple of questions from those in the know....

Several of you have the D-180....YUZO has the "D-180S" emphasis on the "S."
- Yuzo's site claims the following:
1) D-180S does NOT have Manual Mode while D-180 has.
2) D-180S has LED instead of Focus Light
*The LED is remain on when turning main switch on except during exposure.
3) D-180S has 10 stages of aperture setting(F1.8~F9.5 with 1/2 EV)

In comparing the D-180 to the D-180S.......

What does this all mean? Is the "S" variant still a viable option for a novice/first time strobe owner? All of my previous UW photo experience has been with 3030 and the basic automatic functions of the camera and flash unit.

Also, not being familiar with how these things attach, will the basic Yuzo "FISHEYE New Support tray,grip with arm" or can someone suggest a low cost alternative...that I dont have to manufacture myself......the "Tool Gene" was lost at conception in my family....

My next trip is St. John's USVI at Easter, so I have time to ponder, play and procure whatever I need.

Any Help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED......

Windknot aka Sean

The D-180 (and D-180S) has been superseeded by the D-2000. If you have been considering the D-180 then the D-2000 is a much better option. It'll allow you to start with the strobe in full-automatic (TTL) mode and progress to 'semi-auto' (External Auto) and full manual if you choose.

As far as choosing between the D-180 and D-180S goes, the D-180 is recommended. The most important difference for a beginner is the D-180 has half-stop increments built into the dial. On the D-180S you have to engage the 1/2 EV compenstation switch located on the front of the strobe to use the half-stop increments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom