help with pole angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiloboy

Registered
Reaction score
Is there something I can do to get my gopro at a 90 degree angle to my pole? I was thinking of shaving off some metal off the mount. Are all poles like this? I think it would be easier to take video with the gopro if it were at a 90 degree angle. Thoughts?

gopro.jpg

I bought a Quik Pod Sport pole years ago. It allows 90 degrees of rotation in each direction providing a full 180 degrees of motion. However, we quickly discovered the results of cantilevering a GoPro from a beam were unacceptable and ditched the pole. Stability will only get worse if you add a light, but I am sure there will be others that disagree.

Getting stable underwater video is difficult at best. For what it’s worth, I recommend getting an aluminum “V” tray (Snake River Prototyping, Beneath the Surface or something similar) and a pair of good video lights when possible. In Bonaire a few weeks ago my buddy was photographing a Sailfin Blenny, so out of boredom I zeroed in on a flounder. The fish kept swimming faster and faster and faster over the sand. The 30 second video looks like the camera was glued to him. I wouldn’t have been able to do that with a GoPro on a pole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom