Help with next dive destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. We are relatively new divers, with around 35 dives (AOW). We have dived mostly in Turks and Caicos and loved it.
We are looking to get away in February or March because we really need to relax and would love to get some more dives under our belts.
For new divers, we have excellent air consumption (dives of 1 hr and surfacing with 1000 psi), and good buoyancy skills as well, so don't mind trying diving that is a little challenging.
We are looking at Roatan, Curacao or Saint Martin.
Cozumel or PDC may also be an option as a lot of people say good things about diving there.

My concern is, I absolutely want to see big fish. I love sharks and big marine life and disappointed when I do not see them on a dive. We haven't started taking photography on dives yet because we are still working on perfecting our skills, therefore the micro marine life doesn't hold that much interest for me yet.

I'm leaning towards Saint Martin as I heard that there is a lot of wildlife to see, but I have heard that the economy has not recovered from Irma, and reports of crime making people feel unsafe.

Does anyone have any feedback on these dive destinations?

look at socorro if you want sharks and large pelagics. or tiger beach/bimini if you want to just have staring contests with sharks for a week.

land based from cabo pulmo/la paz/loreto is cheaper if that is an issue.

We are looking at going back to Little Cayman to stay at the Southern Cross Club. You mentioned "relaxation" as being important. We stayed there back in 2006 and it has been the most relaxing dive vacation we've ever had. Total service. You drop your gear off on the porch of your bungalow the first day, it disappears down to the boat house and you don't touch it again until you're getting in the water each morning to dive. They set it up on the boat, switch your tanks out between dives, etc etc....It's all inclusive, which means three meals a day. Bar tab is separate. We would have breakfast, then dive in the mornings and lay around in the hammocks or on the beach the rest of the day after lunch. There are only about 200 people who live full time on the island, so it's remote and very chill. The diving is on the Bloody Bay Wall with a reef at the top of a 3000 foot underwater cliff (Yes, 3000, not a typo!). We saw sharks, turtles, etc. on almost every dive as they would come in our of the deep water to hunt on the reef at about 30 to 40 feet.

I would't do Socorro with 35 dives. It's amazing, personal opinion, but you will enjoy it more when you have been thrown around a bit in other locations. If there is some chop by the Boiler or roca partida you could end up puking through your reg at 70ft :)

2nd for tiger beach. or ambergris caye if you are cool with Nurse sharks...although they are really more 'dogs' than sharks..

look at socorro if you want sharks and large pelagics. or tiger beach/bimini if you want to just have staring contests with sharks for a week.

land based from cabo pulmo/la paz/loreto is cheaper if that is an issue.

A bit aggressive at this point in their dive life.

look at socorro if you want sharks and large pelagics.
I had a great time on the Belle Amie...

I would't do Socorro with 35 dives. It's amazing, personal opinion, but you will enjoy it more when you have been thrown around a bit in other locations. If there is some chop by the Boiler or roca partida you could end up puking through your reg at 70ft :)

2nd for tiger beach. or ambergris caye if you are cool with Nurse sharks...although they are really more 'dogs' than sharks..

I also recommend Ambergris Caye and throw in a day trip out to the Blue Hole.

Should get sharks out at Halfmoon Caye and quite possibly in the Blue Hole itself.

Surface conditions at Ambergris Caye and out at Atolls are not always ideal and that can be beneficial to dive development.

General dive/liveaboard progression IMO by grouping ( not difficulty, but the latter group will be more challenging...don't want to go to Indo too early and ruin carib)

East coast US

Central Carib - Belize/BVI
Bahamas
Cayman Islands

Roatan
Cozumel

Bonaire

Red Sea
Philippines
Maldives

Indonesia Raja/Bali

Socorro
Cocos

Galapagos
Palau
Komodo
PNG
Vanatuu
Truuk

General dive/liveaboard progression IMO by grouping ( not difficulty, but the latter group will be more challenging...don't want to go to Indo too early and ruin carib)

East coast US

Central Carib - Belize/BVI
Bahamas
Cayman Islands

Roatan
Cozumel

Bonaire

Red Sea
Philippines
Maldives

Indonesia Raja/Bali

Socorro