help with new purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecks30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some input, going on trip in 2 weeks, well i have decided to buy a camera as this will be my wife's' first "real Dive". I really don't want to spend over 500 bucks if possible as i don't plan on being a serious photographer, just want some proof of our dives. I have looked at the DC1200, Nikon coolpix L24 w/ikelite housing and the GoPro HD. are any of these better than the other or is there something else that I should look at.

Thanks in advance

For a vacation diver that does not want to invest in strobes, lenses, tray/arm etc. I suggest the Canon S95 in the Canon housing. Both can be purchased for just under $600. The S95 is a camera loaded with features that you can use both underwater and topside. It is also a very compact camera considering all its features.

You don't have much of a learning curve window before your trip therefore I would shoot my strobe macro shots in "Auto" or "P" mode with "Auto" white balance and "JPEG" and shoot all your non-strobe shots in "Tv" mode and "RAW" (not JPEG) so that you can post-adjust the white balance on them in the Canon software that comes with the camera.

Get a 16 GIG card (or 2) for the camera so as to be able to store several photos.

octopus.jpgvarible nudi.JPGblenny.JPGgoatfish.jpgHi man just bought a DC1200 have only used it once very impressed with the results, I do use a Intova IS4000 strobe seem to work really well, I have used a Intova IC-10 up till I got the Sealife one can have a look at my shots here last 3 are with the Sealife camra the rest are with the Intova. have attached some photos taken with the Sealife, first time I used it.

The biggest issue you are likely to have at this level will be the blue colour cast that affects pics without a strobe. Choose your setup then based on the 3 possible cures, best one first. 1. a camera that shoots 'RAW' such as the S95 suggested above will allow you to reduce the blue cast on your computer, providing you'll put in the time during post processing. 2. Get a camera with manual white balance and learn to set it to change the colour temperature. Above water, it will look like youe have a red filter over the lens, but it can put some colour back into your photos. 3. Put a red filter (if you're going to be in tropical water) such as the 'magic filter' brand on your setup, this again will put some colour back in. Don't get hung up on having to have the latest gear if you don't plan on taking it too seriously.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom