Help with Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

refjef

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi we are planning to go to Key Largo the end of Feb. I am looking for some reccomendations on where to stay and dive. My brother in law is doing his open water referral dives. I would like nicer accomodations because we have our spouses which are non divers going as well. What dive operators and or resorts would you reccommend. A nice beach would be good as well.
On another note, what will conditions be like? Vis, waves temp?
Thanks for the help.

You could go right down the road to Islamorada and see if you can book a couple of rooms at the Islander Resort (800.753.6002).

They have a very nice pool (actually two of them) and about 600 feet of private beach. The snorkeling is decent right off the sea wall, particularly under the docks. Everything in Islamorada is within walking distance from the Islander; restraints, bars, shopping, spas, etc.

Just down the road is Key Dives (Key Dives Guided Scuba Diving in Islamorada in the Florida Keys) who offers a full range of PADI certifications, Nitrox fills, Scuba Pro gear and daily guided dives on the reefs and wrecks in the area. There are tons of fish on the reefs and you'll have a great time. The cost for the guided dives is the same as what the other dive operators charge without the guide, air and weights included. BTW, Key Dives often uses the Islander pool for confined water training dives.

Call Dave or Eric at 1-888-505-8557 or look them up at Key Dives Guided Scuba Diving in Islamorada in the Florida Keys; enjoy your stay.

Oh, you asked about Vis and Temp; the water temps on the shallower sites may vary depending on how cold it is during Febuary but are usually between 70-75. I dive a 3mm during the winter and a rashguard during the summer. Vis will be as good as 50-60 feet but can drop to 25 during the "crappier" days when the wind has been up, although this is usually over the shallower sites. On the 50 foot and deeper sites, the visibility is usually 40foot plus.
As for surface conditions...only god knows what he's going to throw at us but we usually have 2-3s even with a 15-20 knot east wind; the east wind usually brings in the best vis. A south wind will mean bigger seas but will also clear up the water on the outer edge of the reef.

I have been there a few times and stayed with Horizon divers. They can negotiate a deal with one of the three hotels close by. Good dive operation, very friendly people.

We have always done our diving with Rainbow Reef Divers. We did our AOW with them and have always been pleased with them.
They are located right on the marina. There is a Holiday Inn there that has a great pool and tiki bar. There is also a Marriott and other hotels on the marina. You can email them and they can put together a dive package for you.
Have a great time... we are heading back down in June for the first time in 4 years. Looking forward to diving the keys again.

And not much beach in Key Largo...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom