Help with first Caribbean trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snwwlkr

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New around here but have been lurking a while, awesome forum.

I'm 46, I've dove a lot over the years but have been away from it for a few years, check my profile. Never dove farther south than Key West Fl. I'm working on plans for a Caribbean trip and I know some of you guys and girls have much experience in this region. Open to destination, diving, dining and lodging suggestions..

Looking for a good balance of excellent reef type diving mixed with great scenery topside for divers and non divers. Mountainous or semi mountainous like pictures I've seen of Dominica, good beaches, maybe some night life, places to eat, maybe some historical sights...Looking for something that is reasonably accessible so flights are affordable.

Any advice greatly appreciated???

Last edited:
My 1st choice would be Curacao,good diving easy acces and lots of beaches for the kid to play on.
And they have a good nightlife.:D

Did Curacao a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Aruba okay for diving but much more for the topside activities.

Caymans not bad either - not sure how Gustav effected them.

New around here but have been lurking a while, awesome forum.

I'm 46, I've dove a lot over the years but have been away from it for a few years, check my profile. Never dove farther south than Key West Fl. I'm working on plans for a Caribbean trip and I know some of you guys and girls have much experience in this region. Open to destination, diving, dining and lodging suggestions..

Looking for a good balance of excellent reef type diving mixed with great scenery topside for divers and non divers. Mountainous or semi mountainous like pictures I've seen of Dominica, good beaches, maybe some night life, places to eat, maybe some historical sights...Looking for something that is reasonably accessible so flights are affordable.

Any advice greatly appreciated???

A couple more questions ---
1. Are you the only diver or do you have a buddy traveling with you?
2. How many dives per day? Just 2 am dives, then time with the non-divers or do you want to dive 3+ per day and just spend evenings with them?
3. What time of year? Sping, Summer, Fall, Winter?
4. Budget considerations? Do you want rustic or luxury? All-inclusive?

:D

My vote would be for belize--lots of top-side and under the water activities. However, if massive shopping is to be one of those landlubber activities, it's just ok for shopping. I like the varied diving in Belize--atolls and tongue and groove coral formations. It's a fun place to do beaches for 3-4 days and rainforest for 3-4 days.

Thanks much and I appreciate all suggestions..

I've made a decision..I'm going to Bonaire in mid Oct..A local dive club had a great deal that was to good to pass up..1500.00, incld, airfare, 7 nights, hotel on the beach (Eden Beach), unlimited tanks, rental truck with each room....

Belize was high on the list (Ambergris Caye)..

While overall I don't think Bonaire is going to have everything I'm looking for especially topside..I know the diving will be awesome and it will be a great time..

Check out the road to Rincon when in Bonaire. You'll pass a Blo-Kart track (waaay fun), and on the Rincon side of the track is a turn off to check out some Indian hieroglyphics. And towards the mountainous north east end is some nice photo taking opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom