Help with Fantasea housing: can I self repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

The center button on the back of my Fantasea housing has come out of its spot a bit and is now angled slightly. Photos are attached.

The housing hasn’t lost its waterproofing and I can still use the button somewhat, but some functions are compromised.

Does anyone know if this is something I can fix myself? It seems like it should be able to slide back into place, but I can’t make out the internal mechanism enough to feel strongly about this.

If you can’t say whether this is repairable, can anyone guess as to whether it’s ok to keep using in this state? I can live without the control if need be, but don’t want to risk the camera if bringing it into the water like this may introduce a leak.

Of course this happened on day 1 of a two-week dive trip, so I’d love to resolve it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

(P.s. I have emailed Fantasea, but since it’s Saturday I don’t expect to hear from them for a few days.)

6E63C22C-43D0-4B6B-AC4A-6C576556A4DA.jpeg 457BF926-6C45-40EE-B87B-4F67AF071EFF.jpeg

Jake
suggest that you contact members of either LA UPS - LA Underwater Photographic Society which was established in 1957 or O CUPS - Orange County Underwater Photographic Society which was formed about ten years later.

Both organizations are loaded with UW photographic talents and knowledge

\SAM

Looks like the button pin is bent below the plastic cap. Your best bet would be to remove the pin (usually there is a c-clip on the inside) and then try to delicately bend it back. You may need a very tiny allen wrench to remove the control dial piece on the inside. Careful though, because pliers may leave teeth-marks, which could compromise the seal of the pin to the o-ring to the housing control hole. If you do this, be sure to test the housing at depth without the camera to ensure it's water-tight before taking the camera underwater.

If that's not possible, then maybe try to use it as-is during your trip and then repair once home. Good luck!

Need to see what's on the other side, some housings are made to allow repair and some are not, as mentioned above there will be some form of clip to remove to allow you to take out the pin and try to straighten it.

If you are not confident doing that take it down empty and see if it's still water tight whether it is or not will depend on whether the shaft is straight where it goes through the o-ring. If it is water tight then maybe dive with it and don't use the knob if that's possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom