Help with deciding on lights and tray and flex arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep down under

Registered
Reaction score

deep down underGaribaldi
Hi guys I am so overwhelmed with all the trays and am looking for some help . I have a go pro6 and housing I am defiantly going to purchase the Backscatter flip micro and red lens but I'm not sure which tray will work with the Backscatter ? I like the idea of handles and flex arms . also has anyone used the big blue flashlight with there set up or should I buy proper lights?
Thanks for all help cheers

deep down underGaribaldi
Hi guys I am so overwhelmed with all the trays and am looking for some help . I have a go pro6 and housing I am defiantly going to purchase the Backscatter flip micro and red lens but I'm not sure which tray will work with the Backscatter ? I like the idea of handles and flex arms . also has anyone used the big blue flashlight with there set up or should I buy proper lights?
Thanks for all help cheers

I use Weefine Solar Flare 5000

1FA0083B-3C07-4219-A200-EE3E94CC5B82.jpeg

You can see the difference on the color with & without the video light in my recent video clip:

The Backscatter flip filter goes on the camera. It has nothing to do with the tray. The tray is nothing but a piece of aluminum with handles. One is as good as the other IMO. The only choice is whether to have loc flex arms and light mount versus 1" ball socket. I don't know that one is better than the other but I prefer ball socket because no worries about the loc-line coming apart and not all the noisy squeaking when adjusting.

The lights are where the big differences in quality and money come into play. You can get by with Archon or the above Mako lights for $60-80 each to start. At around $200-300 you might get more lumens and multiple power settings and easier operation. Or go $500 or more and get insane light levels and all the bells and whistles.

Great shots can you send a pic of set up

5067FF8D-DFAD-40AC-B9EC-E96873AC28E6.jpeg

I just put my GoPro Hero6 on top of my Sea & Sea DX2G hotshoe so I can take still pictures & video at the same time.

No need red filter. Just use video light for close up video & low light setting for distance shots.

All of my hammerhead shark video clips were without red filter & video lights as they are shy fish. You won’t get a close up shots with video light on.

GoPro can’t get good macro shots. That’s when I use DX2G.

Hey ddu!

One can spend a great deal of money on uw photo gear and there are many options. We have tried a number of set ups and for us it is still a work in progress.

Any handle that allows the flip filters to open will work. Personally we prefer the boomerang style trays. I have the Beneath the Surface model 4 and Eric uses the Snake River tray. There are also ebay versions. Some are better made, some are heavier, but most all work well.

Beneath the Surface Model # 4 Dual Arm Boomerang, Flex Arm

Dive Tray and Accessories

As for arms, there are two camps. I have the flex arms from BTS. If I had to do over I might go the ball mount route. The flex arms are infinitely adjustable but conversely the are very mobile so easily repositioned unintentionally, especially with heavy lights attached. I think with smaller, lighter lights I would recommend flex arms. With heavy lights I will go with ball mount.

For lights, we really tried to go...economical. Did not work well for us. All malfunctioned either immediately or within a few months. And they just didn’t have the light power. Eric finally went with the Big Blue lights and I just bought Sola lights from Backscatter. They arrived last week and while I haven’t dove them yet I think I am going to be very pleased.

Bigblue VL4000P, 4000 Lumens LED Video Light

Backscatter Sola 3600+ Underwater Video Light with Dome Diffuser

If you like the Sola lights and you plan to use their filters, give Backscatter a call and discuss a package. They are a great company with top notch customer service.

Thank you , with the beneath the surface tray I am wondering if there is enough room to use the backscatter pro flip macro ? Think the Beneath the surface tray is the best out there am wondering if you could attach there flex arms to other trays ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom