Help with Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba2you

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all

This is my first ever post, so here goes....

I would like to herar some recommendations on diving Cozumel in July. My priorities would be as follows:

1) Small boat... the smaller and more personel the better, even if it costs more.

2) Really nice hotel, I have a non diver that puts as much emphisis on the hotel as we do on our diving...how could that be???

3) Good food

4) Cost

After this it doesn't much matter....

We have spent the last ten years diving many of the live aboards in the pacific so were kinda spoiled. That's why we really need to have a smaller boat. If anyone needs any good critical advice on the Pacific, keep my e-mail and drop a line any time.

Thanks

John

Originally posted by scuba2you
Hello all

This is my first ever post, so here goes....

I would like to herar some recommendations on diving Cozumel in July. My priorities would be as follows:

1) Small boat... the smaller and more personel the better, even if it costs more.

2) Really nice hotel, I have a non diver that puts as much emphisis on the hotel as we do on our diving...how could that be???

3) Good food

4) Cost

After this it doesn't much matter....

We have spent the last ten years diving many of the live aboards in the pacific so were kinda spoiled. That's why we really need to have a smaller boat. If anyone needs any good critical advice on the Pacific, keep my e-mail and drop a line any time.

Thanks

John

First...Welcome to the Board!

1) small boat - there are alot of operators with small boats. I can highly recommend Caballito del Caribe We've been using them for about 6 years.

2) Really nice hotel is relative to what you consider nice. Hotel ratings in Coz aren't the same as US ratings. For instance 5 star hotels in Coz are about the same as LaQuinta here. We always liked El Cid/LaCeiba They have all inclusive and regular plans.

If you want nicer than that, check out Allegro or El Presidente. Follow this link for a good listing of hotels and all-inclusives.

3)Good food - follow this thread for recommendations...
http://www.scubaboard.com/t5521/s.html LaChoza, La Parilla, Santiago's, Pancho's Backyard, Jeannie's Waffle House, Diamond Bakery, and Ernesto's are just a few of my personal favorites. As you'll discover, there's good food all over the island, some very cheap and some way too expensive.

4) Cost for what? Hotel will depend on what you consider nice. You can get accommodations in Coz from $20 to over $400 a night. Diving costs also vary but the average is about $55 per 2-tank boat dive.

If this is your first trip, I recommend you get THE Cozumel Map. It's better than any guide book. For $7 it can't be beat.

Hi Dee,

Thanks for your reply, I'll check it out. I made my post to the carribean board, not even noticing this board for Mexico. Gee, brain dead I think.

Everything I need is here in this group, I'll drop a line on a more specific subject if needed.

Thanks again

John

1) Small boat ... I´d pick Makumba, my favorite small boat on the island. It is small (but not TOO small... 8 pak boat), BUT it is really really comfortable. I generally hate small boats, I´m the opposite of you, the bigger the slower the boat is, the happier I am. That thought changed when I did a trip out with Makumba. It cuts through the water and I never seem to feel the bumps of the waves... lots of space and the captain gently drives the boat slowly until everyone is done playing with gear and settles down for the ride, then they speed the boat up.

Personalized? You betcha! The dive op that owns Makumba is Sea Urchin Dive. Isidro, is the owner and divemaster. He may charge a little more than the large dive shops, but it is well worth it.

2) nice hotel? Uhh... I´m a little bias on this one... Of course, Hacienda San Miguel is the quaintest prettiest hotel on the island! (ok I work here, but seriously, ask anyone who has seen this hotel, full kitchens, cable tv, AC, continental breakfast, robes in the rooms, baby hummingbirds taking flying lessons in the garden...) Enough said....www.haciendasanmiguel.com (if you want to chat with me about anything cozumel, click on our "live chat" liink at the bottom of the home page...

3) good food... ya, look at the thread that dee suggested: http://www.scubaboard.com/t5521/s.html LOTS of YUMMY FOOD HERE!!! I´m as obsessed about food as I am about diving!

4) Cost? Hacienda San Miguel is in the economical/affordable range, Sea Urchin Dive is medium/pricier range and the food on the island? The food ranges from $3USD for an ENTIRE MEAL at little local restaurants all the way to $30 USD per person (on up) at a really nice, probably more touristy restaurant...

Good luck planning and have a great vacation!

Achu

My wife and I are going to Cozumel as well in July. 6th-11th to be exact. This will be our fourth trip to the island in recent past.

Unsure on dive operators, we are still looking as well. Have a freind who swears by Living-Underwater. All computer dives and are suposed to be more bang for the buck because of the greater bottom time. Aldora divers is suposed to be the same type of operation.

For hotels, we have tried a couple resorts and one villa. All were great but this year we have decided to stay at the Presidente. It is purported to be one of/if not the nicest. MLT Worry Free vacations has a summer special going--stil more than most but several hundered $$ less than normal.

Good food. We love the Cozumel Museum for breakfast on days that you do not dive. It is an open balcony right across from the water. All the fisherman will be loading up their gear to go out in search of lobster and the like. Food is simple but good. Their fruits are great. Very reasonable as well.

Let us know when you are going. Would love the opportunity to meet fellow board members.

Best Regards,

Bill

My favorite dive operator is:

http://www.diveguide.com/p0360.htm

And my favorite hotel is in town-I don't like the all-inclusive- I feel that it isolates you from the local flavor. I like the Hotel Colonial. It is in town and has large balconys from which you can see the town square. It 's not right on the beach but close to the town pier.

Cozumel... what a great place to go dive.

I stayed at the Barracuda. Small cheap dive hotel, $82 / night for double occupancy. But very quaint, clean, and I'll definitely stay there again next time. I was travelling with some people who stayed at El Presidente. Over $400 / night and it wasn't even all-inclusive. Very very nice rooms, good but overpriced food. And way out of town. Having seen both extremes I'll definitely be staying at the barracuda again. Barracuda is about 5 blocks to the square and an easy walk. El Presidente was about a ten minute taxi ride out of town.

Here's the rundown. You absolutely MUST have a hotel with a dock. The reason is that you simply tell your dive operator which hotel you're staying at and they pull up to your hotel's dock at roughly 8-9'ish in the morning and pick you up from your hotel. They drop you off in the evening, and after rinsing out your gear (Barracuda has a freshwater tub outside just for this) you head into town for the evening. I took several taxis around town, and never spent more than $4 for a ride, but you still can't match the service level of getting picked up and dropped off at your own hotel's dock. Now, depending on where you dive you might want to go back to your hotel for lunch, or get dropped off somewhere nice to eat. When we went all the way back to our hotel we only had about 15 minutes for lunch, but when we asked to be dropped off at the presidente, we had over an hour for lunch.

Dive boats seem about 50/50 between two different styles. Either small 6-8 diver boats, or 30+ diver "cattle boats". I much prefer the smaller ones. I dove with "Deep Blue Cozumel Extended Range Diving", and heartily recommend them. They seem to have more experienced divers as customers. Our entire boat had computers, we all had our own equipment, and we just basically hit the water and dove 4 dives per day without any hassle. Try http://deepbluecozumel.com or +52 (987) 872-56-53 and they'll take good care of you. The owner, Mark I think, made sure that we hit different sites on every single dive during our stay. You can pay $55 for a two-tank dive to the dive shop behind your hotel, who will then sub it out and get a "cattle boat" to come pick you up, or call Deep Blue (or one of the other good dive shops in town) and pay the same thing to go out with a group of 6-8 similarly experienced divers on a small fast boat. If you go Deep Blue please mention my name, because I'll be back there at least once more this year (and every year!)

Finally, one last plug. My travel agent for the trip was Carribean Dive Tours. +1 (770) 578-8028. Mention code H0075 so my dive shop gets credit for a referral. Diane knows every hotel on the island, every dive shop. You tell her what you want in terms of a hotel, she'll list all the hotels that meet your needs. She'll book the airfare, and if you want she'll book your dives. You pay the same thing you'd pay if you did the "legwork" yourself, but you get less trouble and you get free transfers to the hotel and back from the airport.

Enjoy!

P.S. I looked at the cozumel maps that someone else had recommended and they look great. I've got all three of their maps on order.

We've been sending groups and individuals to Cozumel for years. Generally we use the Fiesta Americana Hotel and their dedicated dive operator Dive House...

The hotel is very nice. Short cab ride from town. We do the breakfast package but go into town for lunch and/or dinner. Tremendous selection of restaurants in town. We found the further you get from the Town Square the more interesting the restaurants. We've found all the restaurants love (really, really, really love) having divers come into their places. The reason is simple....CRUISE SHIPS. They in on a daily basis but don't provide any business because the boats have all inclusive meal plans (known by me as Biggy Piggy Platters) so they head back to their boats for meals. Accordingly the restaurants value divers who are staying on the island.

Dive House does an outstanding job. Big, safe, fast boats and (AMAZINGLY) they leave on time...I warn my divers that if you're late you'll be waving at the boat. Diver masters very attentive and knowlegable. Very safety conscious but without being restrictive...

My only comment on July is that it's going to be HOT. My first trip to Cozumel was in July and it was very hot. As long as you know that going into it, then it won't be a problem.

Hey dive dad, how much hotter can it get, I live in Phoenix, lol

Thanks everyone for all the posts, I'll let you know the choices and how I made out in July.

I'm taking my brand new light & motion video rig on it's first dive. After 20 years of 35mm, I can't wait to make the change to digital video.

thanks

John

Back
Top Bottom