Help with choosing camera, Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceanic-daz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have a Sony DSC-T1, with red filter, which takes fairly good pics but better video when underwater.

I'm thinking of upgrading to either a Fuji F810 or Pentax S5i
I would appreciate some help or suggestions with other cameras which I should consider?

The pentax appeals as it has built in marine filters for both stills & video, I have seen some pics taken by other divers whilst on holiday with cameras that have built in filters and was most impressed with the results when compared to my cameras colour definition.
Are there any other cameras with similar built in filters that I should consider?

The fuji appeals as I believe it is an all round better camera, but I'm not sure if filters are required for underwater pics etc, can anyone confirm this for me.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, guys & girls

This is an easy one. Buy the Fuji. I like the camera better. In this case, the main factor should be the housing. Get an Ikelite.

1. Ikelite's housings are much better than the cheapie OEM housings
2. The Ikelite housing for the F810 is only $300 and includes all controls, 200 ft
3. It's the only housing that allows you to choose between 67mm screw on lenses or the Inon Bayonet mount.

Filters are really for use when you don't have a strobe. I consider a strobe a necessity since it allows you to freeze motion. If you get close and use a strobe then there really isn't a need for a filter, or to constantly change white balance.

The Fuji has outstanding resolution, it's fast and very intuitive.

Nice Napoleon wrasse photo. That must have been at the southern end of Elphinstone. It's the best reef I've ever seen.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input Desert eagle, my next question is what strobe should I use? make,strength etc.

Glad you liked the pic. Yes you guessed right, thats the napoleon that pops along nearly every lunchtime for some leftover grub.
I thought it was a good reef too, but I have just returned from Sipadan & theres some outstanding walls there. Photos to appear very soon.

Hi Oceanic-Daz, did I mention that the F810 does video at 640x480 30fps?

I don't know how much you are budgeting for a strobe. Don't forget to get a good wide angle lens. If you were to purchase a mid-range strobe, these are the recommendations:

The simplest strobe to operate is probably the Inon D2000. There is an article in the recent UWP Mag online that explains how it cam mimic TTL. This strobe isn't cheap but it is very good. Here in the US it costs $500.

Ikelite's DS-125 is one of the best strobes on the market. Unfortunately its expensive. In the US the cost is several hundred dollars more than the Inon. At the lower end, they make the DS50 which is a great strobe. Ikelite has their own version of TTL-type control also.

If you don't want to spend the big money on a top strobe, you can also ge the Epoque 150-DS (I think that's the model number). The Epoque is said to be finicky and has a battery compartment that has to be closed carefuly. It should work okay though. Sea & Sea also has a new modle, the YS15. That said, if I had to choose between a good strobe and a cheap strobe/wide angle lens- I would choose the wide angle route.

Hi DesertEagle
Nice pictures, the colours are very clear, what gear was you using to take those pictures?
Thanks for the advice on the strobes.
Ideally I would be looking for an uncomplicated, reliable, easy to seal strobe.
I was wondering about the wide angle lens as I read the f810 shoots in wide screen if selected? Am I getting these 2 diferent things confused?
Thanks
Daz

The F810 has a widescreen mode. Think of it as a regular TV. Sometimes when they show a movie the top and bottom of the screen are cut off. All the widescreen does is mask part of the frame. Don't shoot in widescreen. Do make sure to get a wide angle lens. One of the first things I learned was to get very close to the subject and generally don't shoot down (unless in open water). The 67mm thread allows you to choose Epoque, Inon and Sea & Sea. I recall seeing a test that most performed about the same. The AD-mount would be for the Inon lenses. The reason for the AD mount is that it's easier to attach the lenses. Also the AD wide angle lens is smaller.

Those photos were taken in 2000. I used a Nikonos V with a 15mm lens, a Sea & Sea YS50 strobe and Velvia 50 film. I have a 20 x 30 inch enlargement for the second photo that's virtually grainless. The Nikonos is very easy to use but it takes practice. If I were starting today I would definitely go digital. The ability to view your results immediately makes for faster learning. Today I use a Nikon F801 (8008) film camera in an Aquatica Housing. I use the same Sea & Sea strobes. It is a huge piece of kit. This year I will be going digital and the F810 may be the camera that I use.

I don't know whether to recommend the Inon or Ikelite strobes. Both are excellent. From a service standpoint, Ikelite has developed a very good reputation. Inon now seems to have the latest technology. You may want to check digitaldiver.net and look in the strobe database.

Thanks for the information DeaserEagle.
I now have a better understanding of what I need to consider before I purchase!
Doesn't sound too expensive!!!
I reckon it should cost me about £800 ($1500).
Once again thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom