Help with Checking Fin Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ankush Mittal

Addicted to Diving!
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

So my first purchase was a ScubaPro Jet Fin, which are amazing. But, I wanted something easy going for shallower rec dives with minimal current so I purchased the Atomic Aquatics Split Fin.

Now, as per the ScubaPro website the size fit with a 3mm Bootie should be ok with size L but I tried the XL and I found the fit better. I haven't really seen too many jet fins so the fit looked weird as most of my foot is out of the foot hole/dock of the fin, but the usage is fine in the water. The band just hurts a bit after few days of continous diving as its quite strong. The shop didn't have XXL and this looked ok at the time for fit.

jetfin.jpg

As long as the recommended isn't way off I am ok with the jetfin fit.

As per the sizing I saw the Split fin sizing for Atomic Aquatics and ordered the XL which should fit fine, but the foot hole/dock thing is huge! It looks likes made for Hulk's feet lol. I tried with my 3mm booties and the spring strap is just sitting right on the back of my foot, and the fins feel comfortable, but, there is still space on the side. I am only afraid that my foot may move in it too much or may come out of it. By the looks of it I have read other's reviews and Large may become small. I am thinking maybe buy a 5mm bootie and then it should be perfect and good insulation and padding also for the foot.

splitfin.jpg

My question is what do you guys think of the fit? Does the Jet fin need to be one size bigger? Do the split fins need to be one size smaller? or a 5mm bootie should be fine? I ordered the split fins online and have already paid customs duty so the only options are to return them, lose the customs duty amount already paid and also shipping back to seller.

The Jets look too small to me. It looks like they're digging into the top of your foot.

Agree, the jets look too small, your heel looks to be sticking out too far. I'd definitely try the next size up, check for lateral movement, you don't want much, if any. Good luck.

Instead of replacing the Jets, you might want to consider a fin with a more comfortable foot pocket, such as the Hollis F1 if you need the weight, or the Deep 6/Slipstream for something more neutral.

Thanks for the input guys.

The jets aren't digging into the top of the foot, but the heel is significantly protruding and hence the concern.

I don't know what to do with my atomic splitfins now, other than just wait until the next dive trip and try thicker booties to see if the fit it is better with them.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom