help with cayman brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

au_diver

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Cayman Brac next month and would like to know what to expect. I have been able to find enough about the diving but can not find enough info to answer my other questions. Will someone please help me? I have already tried a search on this site.

How much shopping is on the island?
Is it just souvenirs or can I find jewelry also?

How much can I expect to spend on a beer?
What type of beer can I expect?

Is there any nightlife at all?

Should I plan on shore diving?

Is there any other info yall can pass my way?

au_diver once bubbled...
I will be traveling to Cayman Brac next month and would like to know what to expect. I have been able to find enough about the diving but can not find enough info to answer my other questions. Will someone please help me? I have already tried a search on this site.

Shopping on the island: not really that much (one duty free shop), and cheap prices are rare.

Suvenirs or jewelry: not much Jewelry, and its cheaper elsewhere. The exception is the indiginous Caymanite stone jewelry items. The prices on this are reasonable.

Beer: figure over $5/bottle at a bar, or $2/bottle if you buy a case at the local liquor store (BTW, hard liquor is extremely expensive). Available brands include Heineken, Red Stripe, Bass, Guiness and several others that I don't normally consider. Overall, the beer selection is

Nightlife: there's an occasional social dance up at the Dock every couple of weeks. There used to be a Bar all the way up in Spot Bay that reportedly had some nightlife, but in the conventional tourist "go out to a club" perspective, there's basically nothing. What are your thoughts on stargazing as a nightlife activity?

Shore diving exists, but requires a rental car to get to the sights, and generally involves fairly long swims out to the outer reefs. Overall, since you can get in 3 dives/day from the Dive Tiara diveboats, shore diving is probably best reserved for those who want to do more than the occasional boat-based (and extra $) night dive. The "best" spot to do a night shore dive is from Radar Reef, as its easy to navigate in/out and has a streetlight. You can get a basic list of shore diving locations by clicking here. If you need a rental car, DDDD's is one of the two cheap places -- a basic car is just over US$200/week.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom