Help with BCD choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon East

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all

The wife and I use a Seaquest Dimension i3 BCD and an Aqualung Pearl i3 BCD. We don't want to go back to traditional inflation but we do need to save some weight in the luggage and the BCDs have now seen better days anyway.

I'm finding it difficult if not impossible to compare the actual weight of BCDs as websites just don't seem to publish this data.

I am looking at the Axiom i3 but can;t find a weight for it.

Anyone recommend a lighter weight i3 style BCD or point me at a website that might compare the weights of popular options?

Cheers!

Hate to be THAT guy, but...
BP&W?

Kydex or alum. Backplate
Light travel wing
Simple harness.

Can't get lighter than that.

Haha. Top_Gun, It's like a mirror image of my post which I deleted after seeing he wanted to retain that wierd inflation/deflation system (solution looking for a problem?) Aqualung have come up with.

I was also suggesting carbon fiber plates if he wants to spend some serious money in exchange for further weight loss. Never seen a Kydex one, but can imagine they'd be extremely light too.

Also, BP/W can be split up in baggage for traveling. Backplate and harness in one bag, wing in another - another definite bonus for traveling when trying to split weight between bags.

Bevan

I got the Litehawk as a travel BC initially and have been quite happy with it overall. It has enough padding to be comfortable for me while still packing easily for its size. I also find that it has plenty of attach points to clip things and while its not weight integrated outside of the back trim pockets I have turned the pockets it came with upside down and just put my weights in them. This way i can quickly ditch the weight by opening the pocket and the clasp is plenty secure for at least 5lbs per pocket. Should be around 5.5lbs - 6lbs depending on the size of the BC

http://www.scubapro.com/bcs/products/litehawk.aspx

The Zuma rocks. We are able to carry wet suit, fins, mask, bc, reg, camera, strobe, computer, hooded vest, beanie, boots, flashlights and clothes in a carry on and a backpack.

Hollis LTS is 5lbs with 30lbs of lift. i was never impressed with the I3 inflator system. marketing solution for issues. longer or shorter hose & using the dumps.

My wife and I just got back from a trip.

Duffel #1: Both STEEL backplates, my wet suit, my 3 bathing suits/rashguards, beanies, both wings, trim weight pockets. 29 pounds
Duffel #2: Both reg sets, SMBs, 4 masks, 4 lights. My wife's bathing suits. 22 pounds.

My wife carried a backpack with our computers and travel stuff.

One checked bag with our fins (too long for carry on) and the rest of our clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom