Help with a fish I.D. please.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is this small camo'd fish...shot off Little Cayman this past summer(July), about an inch and a half in length...TIA...
IMG_1541107.jpg
IMG_1541107.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting[/IMG]

Probably a Cleaning Goby, but possibly a Yellownose or Yellowprow Goby. Picture is too small to tell for sure. The Cleaning Goby is the more common one.

Nah, I'm talking 'bout the little fish on the fan coral--whitish yellow in color & looks like the fan--not the golby on the brain coral......some sort of juvenile file fish maybe???......

It's a juvenile filefish. Scrawled is my guess.

Thanks, that's what I thought due to shape of body &....almost missed it while swimming by ie pretty close in color to the fan.....

That is a fantastic pic. I was thinking to myself, knowing you have been around, how can he not know a goby... I totally missed the filefish. Most excellent shot.

probably not a scrawled filefish but a slender filefish. I don't know scrawled filefish to sit around and rely on camouflage like this. However, slender filefish (Monacanthus tuckeri) frequently do. By the pattern you can also see that this is not a scrawled filefish which usually have a sort of iridescent blue. The slender filefish also takes on the colour i believe of the coral it is hiding on to camo itself better. Don't have my fish ID books but i am pretty sure that it is a slender filefish and not a juvenile.

probably not a scrawled filefish but a slender filefish. I don't know scrawled filefish to sit around and rely on camouflage like this. However, slender filefish (Monacanthus tuckeri) frequently do. By the pattern you can also see that this is not a scrawled filefish which usually have a sort of iridescent blue. The slender filefish also takes on the colour i believe of the coral it is hiding on to camo itself better. Don't have my fish ID books but i am pretty sure that it is a slender filefish and not a juvenile.

Thanks, you're correct it looks like....here's a pic of one I found on a Google search...similar situation & color.....
001231b.jpg

Slender filefish has my vote too! Saw a few of them in Bonaire earlier this month, and had one follow me on ascent from a night dive in Bonaire in 2005. Cool critters, usually see them at night...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom