Help Wanted: Scuba Camping Writer Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canadiandiverm8

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm posting in the right place.

I really need help from a volunteer writer with scuba camping trip experience.

By this I mean you've hauled your scuba gear for diving at far away places from home, and camped out (tent, campfires, marshmellows, et al) for the trips - at least a few times.

You're also willing to share what you liked and didn't like about the trip.

I just happen to have several people ask me on my web site BeginnerCampingTips.com about what to do for camping scuba trips. They wanted to know what to bring, what to watch out for, how to be prepared... plus they're from all sorts of places like the U.K., Canada, U.S. and Australia. It's quite a mix, but I haven't been able to find anyone with the right experience to write on the subject.

I could write on the subject because I camp and I dive, but not both on the same trip. It would be more fair to give a view from real experience.

You're article would be featured in the articles section of web site, and you'd get full credit for the writing. It's a busy site, so your writing needs to be clear and easy to read.

If you think you can help, and don't mind being in the spotlight, drop me an email through the contact form on my web site.

Henry
Canadiandivem8

You mean like schlepping tanks around the wildnerness with donkeys and some guy named pedro to guide you through the coffee mountains and eventually to some gator/croc ridden hole with the bones of animals around it dating back to the pliocene era and when you eventually get the nerve to dive in and get deeper than the crocs and gators go you discover that its really a cenote?

I don't know anyone whose done that :) (check advanced diver magazine, look up curt bowen, rusty farst, etc., they've done this). :)

Beginner wise camping trips with gear dragging are so few between... John Pennecamp is about as close as it gets.. or Bahia Honda. Both of these are in the Florida Keys.

There's probably plenty of other places. Dutch Springs comes to mind. And I can think of some places on the NE coast you might do it. But some tips would probably apply anyplace (not that I have a list.)

Looking at the website it seems that advice for camping at your local quarry would be helpful.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm assuming that you are only interested in tent camping and not RV camping? I've been averaging 30,000 miles per year on my motorhome for the past 4 years with a majority of these miles in pursuit of diving sites. I have 12 tanks around the back bed and the dinette has been reduced to dive gear storage area!

Thanks for the tip on the quarry. Much appreciated.

That reminded me to check out the local dive club. They tend to take groups out on weekended scuba "camping" trips. It's more like car / base camping but that's good enough for tent camping (at least that's what I think the web visitors are asking). I can't imagine them looking for anything extreme.

I noticed the "campers" at Ginnie a couple years ago too. Unfortunately, I didn't think much of it as camping back then. Looking back today, it makes more sense.

The cenote camping excursion would sound like a blast to read... having experienced hauling doubles through snake riddled woods to get to a Florida High Spring dive spot, I must say I wouldn't stand up to throwing on another 50 pounds of camping gear for an extended hike. And yes, there was gator nearby one of the Orange Grove holes I dove into too.

an excerpt from my article, "Diving Lake Titicaca"

at dawn, we woke up to discover all our Quechua helpers had gone back to Juli. they had taken the tents we had provided for them. when we went to bed, approximately 12 tents ringed the campfire (a few extra tents had materialized; we assumed they were friends of our helpers). when we woke up, only three were left.

Julio [an American-educated local of Japanese descent] came to tell us that a shaman had arrived from Nueva Luz de Fatima and had declared that our expedition was cursed. word spread through Juli, and anxious relatives had sent word to our helpers.
apparently, the word of a shaman was not to be doubted.

"well," Julio said after a long pause, "at least they didn't take the trucks."

Oh yeah gypydoc, I'm open to rv camping too.

I'm sure Scuba diving, while travelling on the road, has its challenges regardless - like preventing theft, air fills, etc.

Although my site guides beginner tent campers, I also get a fair amount of traffic from people interested in RV camping (surprisingly many from the U.K. too).

It's hard to tell what my web visitors want - even when they come out to ask for specific advice (like camping for scuba trips). It's a poke in dark to see if I'm giving what my web visitors are looking for.

If you're interested in writing a short blurb, just send me a PM here. I'm just as interested in the amount of RV camping experience you've got. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Henry

GypsyDoc:
I'm assuming that you are only interested in tent camping and not RV camping? I've been averaging 30,000 miles per year on my motorhome for the past 4 years with a majority of these miles in pursuit of diving sites. I have 12 tanks around the back bed and the dinette has been reduced to dive gear storage area!

My kind of guy! We have got to talk sometime!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom