Help Us Help Sharks - Great White Sharks are in Danger!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ wahlaoeh Nothing like that at all! The project I was working on had started the previous year so it was the first opportunity to re-catch sharks (The work was carried out on a seasonal congregation and so could only be carried out for 3 months of each year). On some of the tags there was a large build up of fouling organisms whilst some others showed signs of infection on the tail where the tag was fitted. We decided to remove all the tags in order to make sure no sharks would be adversely affected further. All the sharks were then tagged with a PIT tag internally and released again, further captures later in the season showed that the sharks that had been visually tagged showed no obvious signs of lasting affects other than some minor scaring. We had also begun investigating the possibility of using visual id's on the sharks in the future.

Familiarize yourself with the basics of statistics, and you'll realize that in this particular context your approach of comparing one year's data to the following year's is totally insufficient, and therefore the 'result' inadequate as a supporting factor for your position.

I don't quite understand your context on your above comments. You're not helping me here .. if you have the actual statistics, pray tell and we can discuss. I'm no scientist nor researcher. I seek answers and hope the members on this board can provide. My position here is that I love sharks and want them to be protected. All species is already declining and facing extremely high risk of extinction due to over fishing/by-catch/fish nets etc. Do we still need to continue hurting them by using some invasion tagging methods. I'm do not need to know the migrating paths of these animals and even if there are such information, how is this information useful to stop shark finning, which is the biggest thread. In short, I'm “anti-non-professional behavior” and I'm "anti-unnecessary harm”.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 09:27 AM ----------

@ wahlaoeh Nothing like that at all! The project I was working on had started the previous year so it was the first opportunity to re-catch sharks (The work was carried out on a seasonal congregation and so could only be carried out for 3 months of each year). On some of the tags there was a large build up of fouling organisms whilst some others showed signs of infection on the tail where the tag was fitted. We decided to remove all the tags in order to make sure no sharks would be adversely affected further. All the sharks were then tagged with a PIT tag internally and released again, further captures later in the season showed that the sharks that had been visually tagged showed no obvious signs of lasting affects other than some minor scaring. We had also begun investigating the possibility of using visual id's on the sharks in the future.

Great work, Dan. Thank you!! Can you tell by the tags who is responsible. Do you have some pics on those damage done to share. Appreciate it!!

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 09:28 AM ----------

Ocearch's tagging program has been declined here for the reasons stated...(and btw I am not a he) - federal decision that Ocearchs handling methods are not consistent with protocols for handling sharks.
US shark tag experts plead with Buswell - The West Australian

Haha .. on the "he" .. did I mention somewhere that you're a she. Sorry, my bad!!
That's good news .. hopefully it stays that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom