HELP! Trying to set up new puter with 64 bit system and having trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
OK part of this should be in whine and cheese. My old laptop is dying and I am in the process of moving things from a Dell Inspiron with XP to a Gateway with Vista and a 64 bit operating system.

Several of my old programs will not load as it says the new puter has a 64 bit system. What is a 64 bit system?

My anti-virus/firewall program says that it might be the end of the year before a new version is out that will work with 64. What program would you recommend that I use? I was using Zone Alarm.

Any other things that I might be looking out for that might jump out of the closet and scream BOO with this new system? I have never had such a hard time moving from one system to another.

OK part of this should be in whine and cheese. My old laptop is dying and I am in the process of moving things from a Dell Inspiron with XP to a Gateway with Vista and a 64 bit operating system.

Several of my old programs will not load as it says the new puter has a 64 bit system. What is a 64 bit system?

This refers to the amount of data the computer chip processes at once. Most processors for the last few decades have been 32 bit, meaning they process about 1/2 as much per clock cycle as a 64 bit processor. Long story short - its a more powerful processor.

My anti-virus/firewall program says that it might be the end of the year before a new version is out that will work with 64. What program would you recommend that I use? I was using Zone Alarm.

Sounds to me like they're trying to scam some money from you - a 64 bit processor can run 32 bit programs just fine. There may be a compatibility issue with the 64-bit version of windows, but that seems odd.

There are some free options that are vista-64 compatable; avast, and avg for example. A quick google for "antivirus vista 64" (no quote) brings up a long list.

Any other things that I might be looking out for that might jump out of the closet and scream BOO with this new system? I have never had such a hard time moving from one system to another.

There have been some issues with older programs not running properly on 64-bit systems (usually due to how they handle memory). I think vista 64 has some run options you can change to increase the likelihood of it working.

Or, you could switch to a 64-bit version of linux....

Bryan

My first thought about Vista is run... fast!

Other than that... Vista is known to have plenty of incompatibilities with older software, especially 32bit versions of such software, and even more so with security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus. If you want to continue using Vista, do as Warthaug suggested and look for Vista-compatible versions of the software that won't run.

And unless there is a specific (and darned good) reason for keeping Vista around, call up Gateway and ask for the XP "downgrade" option. Get the 64bit version of XP for your new computer... you may still have to upgrade some software, but you won't have any of Vista's headaches... just the normal M$ headaches that come with every system.

Zone Alarm does have a 64bit version, but they were recently purchased by Checkpoint so I'm not sure if they still offer a freeware version. AVG is an excellent anti-virus program... But as always, there are plenty more out there just as good.

Well you have 2 real issues here. First you are going from XP to Vista. A lot changed in vista for Virus Scanners. Its strange that your AV hasn't come up with a vista solution yet. I am not sure about your AV but ZoneAlarm you need version 7.1 or higher from their site:

2. Can I install my older ZoneAlarm 7.0 on my Vista machine?
No, ZoneAlarm 7.0 is not compatible with Vista. Only install ZoneAlarm 7.1 or above on Vista.

be careful about free AV software. A lot of it is fake. AVG is safe. Windows Virus Scanner is not.

your next issue is x64 this can effect things like your AV and other memory sensitive software due to the way an anti virus scans your ram and hard drives. however most normal applications should run just fine, even if you have to run them in computability mode. A Google search should help you with that.

No its not a nice change, but once you get all switched over things will be better. Its all technical but a piece of software optimized to run in 64 bit mode can do up to twice as many things at a time then a 32 bit Operating System Can :)

But please if you have any specific problems ask I am sure somebody here can help.

My first thought about Vista is run... fast!

Other than that... Vista is known to have plenty of incompatibilities with older software, especially 32bit versions of such software, and even more so with security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus. If you want to continue using Vista, do as Warthaug suggested and look for Vista-compatible versions of the software that won't run.

And unless there is a specific (and darned good) reason for keeping Vista around, call up Gateway and ask for the XP "downgrade" option. Get the 64bit version of XP for your new computer... you may still have to upgrade some software, but you won't have any of Vista's headaches... just the normal M$ headaches that come with every system.

Zone Alarm does have a 64bit version, but they were recently purchased by Checkpoint so I'm not sure if they still offer a freeware version. AVG is an excellent anti-virus program... But as always, there are plenty more out there just as good.

I have to ask. why do you not like Vista? Have you run vista for more then 30 days? I ask because I hear this a lot and can never get a really good answer. I have been running it since the February after it came out with no problems so far. As long as your computer was designed to handle Vista it has proven itself to me.

I have to ask. why do you not like Vista? Have you run vista for more then 30 days? I ask because I hear this a lot and can never get a really good answer. I have been running it since the February after it came out with no problems so far. As long as your computer was designed to handle Vista it has proven itself to me.

I think a lot of it comes from people buying into macs TV hype. I manage several computers at work - vista, mac, XP, linux, win3.1 (no, I'm not joking, 3.1). Vista is very good, so long as you are working with new hardware. Try putting it on an old machine and you'll run into problems. We've had minimal problems moving software from XP to vista, but then, most of the software we use is updated nearly monthly so it was vista compatable before we had any vista computers.

And since this thread will inevitably fall into a mac vs. pc thread, let me start by saying linux >> windows > mac, at least for scientific computing in a multi-user environment. For home use, there is no meaningful differences, aside from price.

Bryan

Nortel still does not have a version of their vpn client that will run on 64.:depressed:

I think a lot of it comes from people buying into macs TV hype. I manage several computers at work - vista, mac, XP, linux, win3.1 (no, I'm not joking, 3.1). Vista is very good, so long as you are working with new hardware. Try putting it on an old machine and you'll run into problems. We've had minimal problems moving software from XP to vista, but then, most of the software we use is updated nearly monthly so it was vista compatable before we had any vista computers.

And since this thread will inevitably fall into a mac vs. pc thread, let me start by saying linux >> windows > mac, at least for scientific computing in a multi-user environment. For home use, there is no meaningful differences, aside from price.

Bryan

I'm going to agree... current hardware is a must... the other must is mainstream software. Don't go putting just anything on your computer just because it touts "Vista compatible." If it works, it works... now don't touch it!

Vista actually has some very nice "behind the scenes" features... it's a shame M$ took so long to implement them. But I must say that Vista should clearly be for home use only because it sucks as a business desktop.

How long have I used it? About 2 hours. Long enough to know that everything you need has been moved or replaced... Besides, I've heard enough bellyaching about it from everyone else around me telling me what a blunder it is. And most of them did not violate the two "musts" mentioned above. I'll stick to XP, server and *nix.

I hope this doesn't turn into a PC v. Mac thing, because they are both PCs... since PC means "Personal Computer" and not "Windows computer." That and Mac's OS X is merely another flavor of Linux. So if you want to get picky, it should be a Windows v. Linux thing, like it always has been.

Ken

TC:
Nortel still does not have a version of their vpn client that will run on 64.:depressed:

CheckPoint does! :D

As for the mac vs windows debate. I guess for me the answer to that question doesn't matter as I have to use windows for work and I have already purchased this new system and am now married to it.

Zone Alarm said they have a beta version that will work with a 64 bit and I can try it at my own risk. They do not know when they will have a working version. They did not try to sell me anything else--just said sorry our stuff won't work now. I asked if they could freeze my subscription, but the said no. They said they would have a new 64 bit version up and running by the end of the year.

I have been able to get all my work related programs up and running after upgrading. I think I lost Microsoft Best of Entertainment that I purchased in 1992. I am going to miss Chip's Challenge and Jezz Ball a great deal. I guess all good things come to an end. I still really like the old cheezy games.

I hope I can get the software to work for my dive computer. I am not seeing a download for the Atmos Pro that is 64 bit on their website. Off to post in their forum and ask for direction.

I guess now that I am few days into this, it seems my problems have been more due to the 64 bit issue rather than Vista. And I am going to have to upgrade at some point. Since I am almost done, I am just going to stay with Vista rather than spend any more $$$ or start this process over.

Back
Top Bottom