Help to locate old Danish ship The Torunator down in 1942

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Dear divers of Japan.

I am looking for a Danish ship. The Tornator - To ru na to ru go (Danish name: Selandia.) The ship stranded on the shore west of Omaezaki lighthouse on January 26th. 1942. Ship broke in two on january 30th. 1942.
The Tornator was the worlds first motor ship with no steam! and it was build by the famous Burmeister & Wain shipyards in Copenhagen 1912.
I would like to do a historcial documentary-film up to th 100 years birthday of the ship in 2012.
I would like to find out, if the wreck still is there.
Can anyone help with information on this?
Are there some of you that has been out there and know if the Tornator is still on the bottom? Since it ran aground and broke, I guess the remains would be pretty shallow?
Attached is some photos of the ship and a small filmsample of it, after its first tryout in Copenhagen in january 1912

All help is much appreciated / Sincerely yours

Martin Lund
Journalist.
Gothersgade 30
Copenhagen, Denmark
(+45) 21404575

Hi Martin,

I will contact you by email. We have a position on a wreck down there but not sure it is the one you are looking for and will call the Coast Guard. Most shallow old wrecks are broken up by the hurricanes but of course there will be pieces left of her.

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom