HELP? Sosua, Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainNemo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hurricane Wilma just screwed our trip to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen and the Cenotes. The Resort we were staying at has a sister resort called Club Sabatini in Sosua, Puerto Plata. Years ago we stopped at Puerto Plata, DR on a cruise. I was not impressed and didn't have time to dive. If anyone has any info good or bad about this resort and or diving in the area please let me know asap. I have to make a decision quickly. Leaving on friday!

CaptainNemo:
Hurricane Wilma just screwed our trip to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen and the Cenotes. The Resort we were staying at has a sister resort called Club Sabatini in Sosua, Puerto Plata. Years ago we stopped at Puerto Plata, DR on a cruise. I was not impressed and didn't have time to dive. If anyone has any info good or bad about this resort and or diving in the area please let me know asap. I have to make a decision quickly. Leaving on friday!
I am not familiar with the resort, but I did spend a week on DR. The diving isn't as good as Cozumel, probably because diving isn't their number 1 priority. Boats are not quite as nice, lack of some bigger species (due to commercial fishing ????)

But its still warm water. The vis can be good. There are still colorful fish there. Some dive sites would be as good as a lot of sites you can find in Cozumel, but you can also find some sites that seem very beat up.

I found the people to be very nice and friendly.

So, question...Did you cancel your Cancun or was it the Resort?

The resort recommended not to come because of Wilma.They can't get enough people out of the Cancun airport at the moment. It was another friends timeshare and the only other option was DR at such a short notice. It turns out Delta doesn't fly there so it looks now like we will not be going to either. We are just hoping Delta returns our money

Sosua is a party beach. It is a lively and interesting area. Just make sure that the dive boat takes you a few miles away (east or west) to more interesting dive sites. Needless to say, Sosua is a great spot for your SI (but avoid licquor).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom