Help selecting first gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rohgren

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Background: new diver, SSI, open water certified, 13 dives.

Looking to purchase BC and reg/second source. Dove a Hydros Pro for all open water dives - great but too expensive. Definitely prefer a back inflate over a jacket. Have looked at several BCD options - Oceanic Excursion, Black Ice, couple of others. Then came to this board and was introduced to backplate and wing option. I’m kind of convinced BPW is way to go at this point. Thoughts on Edge Hog Total Buoyancy Control System versus Halcyon infinity/Quick Cinch? Not expecting to become a tech diver but might be interested in the SSI XR program in the future. Is there someone else I should consider? Any thoughts on these versus the “new” Edge HOG Pro Hybrid BCD?

Similar question on regs. Pretty much settled in HOG D3/Zenith but what about Halcyon? Is there anyone else I should look at (besides the big name companies)?

And a final question - both of these companies are obviously smaller than ScubaPro, Mares, Tusa etc. Any issues there when traveling? Mostly planning on Caribbean or Florida dives at this point. If something breaks, is that a problem? (Retired military so I do a pretty thorough pre-check before “deployment” so I would expect to catch this before departure, but things happen.).

Thanks for any insight. Choices can be overwhelming.

I have an 11 page essay on the BPW and similar systems. I need an email address to send it to. It's too big to post here.

I'm also an Edge HOG dealer and one of the more active instructors for the regulator service course. I actually was involved in writing the procedures for the D2 and D3.

As far as the Total Buoyancy Control System, some of the hardware for it was also my design and I cut the prototypes for said hardware.

I have one that I dive and have sold several of them. I would not say it's in the same category as the Halycon cinch. I would not recommend the TCBS if you plan on getting into doubles. It's great for single tank diving but as you are new, I'd recommend having an experienced HOG dealer set it up. It is often sold as a kit that you assemble and it is easy to put it together so that it's kind of a mess if you don't know what you're doing.

As for the new back inflate, I haven't got my hands on one yet. They just came in and I haven't had a chance to order one to try. I'll get one in after my Canada trip in a couple weeks.

I've been working with new divers and getting them set up in HOG BPW's since 2011. I've assembled well over a hundred of them for customers and students.

With the comfort harness or some variation other than the basic one piece using custom hardware to fit select individuals for whom the one piece was just not what they wanted for them.

The majority, however, are totally satisfied with the one piece Hogarthian set up. A number of people initially ordered the comfort harness and a few months down the road took it off in favor of the one piece.

As for regs and service. I can teach you to service your regs yourself. With proper care, service should not be that big of an issue. And for big, once in a lifetime trips, I would make sure I had a back up second stage and 1st stage in my gear.

I've had students for the reg course come from all over the east coast and even had one guy from Arizona extend a trip in DC to drive up and take my class.

I also do mail order service if you don't want to do it yourself and if I know it's coming, can usually get it turned around in 48 hours.

Regs, in general, are pretty robust. But on occasion, they do fail. Sometimes right after service. O rings go, a seat goes, it happens. But as you noted a pre-trip check and proper preventative maintenance will reduce that risk.

Much of the time a reg fails because of poor care by the owner. I've gotten regs in for service that were "well cared for" they said. Nope. Not when I open it up and it's got mud, sand, salt, or silt gunking it up.

I'm tied up today and this weekend. But if you'd like to give me a call for more info next week in the evening shoot me a message to set up a time.
Message me your email for the BPW article and my reg care tip sheet.

@Jim Lapenta
stated

I have an 11 page essay on the BPW and similar systems. I need an email address to send it to. It's too big to post here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim
I would like to read your essay...
Is is possible to send me a copy?

Sam Miller, 111

@Jim Lapenta
stated

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim
I would like to read your essay...
Is is possible to send me a copy?

Sam Miller, 111
I need your email address. I'm heading out to go kayaking right now so I'll send it later today.

As a relative newbie (<100 dives) that travels to dive 1-2 times per year we have only just purchased our own BCDs and regs after 4 years of renting. While I was leaning to a BPW for myself I did choose the Hydros Pro, as that is what I got for my wife and wanted to be able to fully support her as she transitions from the standard rental jacket (Pilot). It is a top notch BCD, but as you mention its also pricey. I compared the HOG 'system' as well as others such as the X-Deep Ghost, the Mares Red Devil/Battle Blue, Deep 6 package etc. as well as the usual BPW vendors. There are just so many good options, including the ones mentioned. Not having a shop close by where we could be fitted and maybe try also narrowed my selection. Will find out during the next few weeks how well we truly like the new gear!

As for regs, I went with Deep 6 signatures. Same regs for primary/secondary and great reviews. They are great to work with and have a service model that appealed to me - DIY, send it in, or allow anyone else to service - all without messing with the warranty. They also include the 1st service for cost of shipping to them, and they also include the service kit with your order - fantastic addition for us that travel. You can also get certified and trained on servicing them yourself!

Before you nix the jacket or back inflate, I’ll put in my .02 cents.

You’re a brand new diver with 11 total dives. So, I will assume you do not know what you like or don’t like yet as your experience is very limited. Not a bad thing!

With a weight integrated back inflate BC, I have found that you must have trim pockets so that not all the weight is placed in the front. Of course, this depends on how much weight you need. I only need 6# for Caribbean diving and 10 for full 5 mil suit. Without trim pockets, I find having too much weight in front puts me face down while floating on the surface waiting to get picked up by the boat or surface swimming. I haven’t used a jacket style in about 10 yrs but it was also not weight integreated.

With regards to all your BC and other gear overall, I would go basic. It will be more affordable, and allow you to learn what you like or dislike. If you go with the best most expensive gear and you don’t like it, you’ll be stuck with it or sell it at a loss. I’ve been diving 30 years and still use the 1st and only regulator I bought in 1990 – a US Diver Conshelf SE2 and it works great. So I’m just sayin, don’t go all out, there isn’t any need to until you have more experience learning what you like or don’t like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom