Help! SA/Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The more I read, the more confused I get.:confused:

In December/January I'm planning to go to South Africa. I wanna do some shark diving, so the plan was mainly to go to Protea Banks. But what is it with Aliwal Shoal?

What's the big difference between Protea Banks and Aliwal Shoal?

While researching, I figured out that I might have the opportunity of seeing several whale sharks as well. Can I find them anywhere in SA, or do I need to go to Mozambique?

I'll be travelling and living quite basic (in order to go diving as often as possible :eek:))
Any good advices on accommendation etc?

Please help me! :eek:)

Hey there. I learnt to dive in SA, so can help a little. Unfortunately I have not dived Protea Banks. The reputation is for more sharks (Tiger and Raggie) with slightly tougher conditions and potentially big current.

I have about 6 dives in Aliwal. Have seen lots of Raggie Sharks, and some Dolphins. There is a wreck (the Produce) which is worth a visit. The current and surge can become quite extreme here as well, but that is rare. If you really want to do Shark Diving consider Mossel Bay or Gansbaai for a Great White expedition (can be costly).

I have seen whale sharks in Sodwana Bay (in South Africa) in December. It is rare but possible to see them further South. (I have not seen this).

If I was you I would consider some time in Sodwana (you will be sleeping in a tent) and time in Ponto in Moz. (again tent city). I have seen schooling hammer head sharks in Ponto. Apparently you can see Tiger Shark as well, though I have never seen these.

Protea Banks the dive is down to depth of 40 metres- where as Aliwal shoal the dive isn't that deep- maybe down to max depth 25-30 metres. Raggies are more common at Aliwal Shoal- the best time to dive at AliwalShoal and to see lots of sharks will be during our winter months May , June,July which is their mating season. Great white shark diving is done more at Mosselbay/Capetown - but is rather expensive. Sodwana bay & Ponta du Ouro in Mozambique are excellent dive sites - you might get to see Whale sharks in Ponta du Ouro in Mozambique.You will have to book in advance because that is during our peak holiday season and most places will be fully booked out.Try and book through a reputable dive shop or booking agent like' Scuba scene ' in Pretoria as they arrange trips to most of these destinations on a regular basis. Hope this helps !
Safe diving.

Something to keep in mind is that most of the diving with great white's is done from a cage and costs +- R1500 ($220). It is my opinion that that is too much for what you get compared to a dive site like sodwana.
I would highly recommend diving in sodwana as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom