Help Removing DS Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My drysuit is a Diving Concepts Ultra Flex pro. The dump valve is one of those larger diameter, low profile valves. Not sure who makes it - you find it on a lot of different manufacture suits with the manufacturer's logo in the middle.

Anyway, I want to remove it for cleaning and inspection because I'm getting a tiny leek through mine.

I assume it twists off just like all the other valves. It does say on the inside, "To fit and remove nut depress valve." So I depress the valve and twist, but I get to that point where I'm afraid if I add more torque and pressure I may be at the point of breaking the outer plastic, and it still doesn't budge.

Help!

You ever figure out what to do? Im struggling with mine right now... Cant find any help anywhere

There are two issues I've run into. One is that some valves are put on very tightly -- the Apeks valves on my new Fusions are like that. It takes a special wrench to get them off (I've made one!).

The other is that some manufacturers actually seal the valves to the suit with adhesive. That makes it EXTREMELY difficult to get them off, because even if they use heat-sensitive glue, you can't get the heat from the gun in under the valve where the glue is. Brute force generally eventually works, but it can take quite a bit, and one does wonder if the plastic is going to give.

Be aware that Apeks valves require that you depress the button on the dump before twisting. For me, this makes taking them off a two person job.

Thanks for the reply Lynne, although I managed to figure it out. Although it took 3 hours.... Quite right about the brute force. I ran into 2 different hang ups where the directions were very unclear, and solution was brute force. I didnt want to break the valve so I was very hesitant to use it, hence the long time trying to figure it all out.

Back
Top Bottom