HELP !!! red rash amd bumpy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've went for a dive at Manado Indonesia at first in the ocean felt abit stingy a day after rashes all come up.

Not sure what is it any suggestion??

Attachments

• 8C8BDD3C-0980-40FB-B1C5-D8DCD928E107.JPG
    8C8BDD3C-0980-40FB-B1C5-D8DCD928E107.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 166
To me, it looks like you've brushed your hand against a stinging hydroid.

Your hand is the only place you have that, right?

Do you have any hydrocortisone cream?

+1....looks like a Jellyfish type sting. Some Jellyfish have very long nearly invisible tentacles so you could conceivably be stung without actually seeing the culprit, also the tentacles can sting even if separated from the body of the jellyfish so the jellyfish may not have been present for any number of reasons but you swam through/contacted its remnants.

The redness and bumps will go away but it may be a couple of weeks. If there is itchiness present that may last anywhere from a few days to a month....resist the urge to scratch it as breaking down the skin can lead to secondary injury/infection. As the poster above recommended, hydrocortisone cream should help.

Seek out medical attention if you are concerned and/or the size of the area continues to increase without reason (another sting), or you experience any problems breathing...

...if this is indeed a jellyfish sting, the fact that you have not experienced more severe symptoms is a good indication that you will not experience anything more than the local reaction you are currently experiencing...but if your conditions worsen your safest bet is to seek competent medical attention.

Here is a random picture from the interwebs of a jellyfish sting for you to compare against what you have on your hand:
jellyfish-sting-erin-56a2f4995f9b58b7d0cfdc60.jpg

-Z

I get that on the back of both of my hands almost every time I dive for consecutive days. I bring Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream with me on trips now. Apple cider vinegar has been helpful too. I have a colleague who gets the same thing after being in the sun for too long from a sun allergy. It's so weird (and itchy)!

One reason why we allow our guests to wear gloves. And highly advise to use full suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom