Help Please? Which Video Light to buy in the UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Peeps,

My old Sealife strobe has finally died so I'm going to replace it with one or maybe two Sea&Sea YS-02's but I also want to get a relatively cheap (£100-£250ish) video light to mainly use to shoot shark videos so something with a wide angle is preferable.

Can anyone recommend a good light that's available to buy in the UK please?

Many thanks!

I just use a simple GoPro setup at the moment, and lighting inside wrecks was proving to a pain in the arse. I bought myself a couple of Blueray Radiant lights and mounted them out wide on two 30cm flex arms. The only draw back is they 50min burn time on full power, you will need a spare set of batteries to boot. I tried to get some cheaper batteries off eBay, alas they were useless around 15min burn time. That said, I've found low power to be more than enough with both lights going inside any wreck.

2c thanks

Those are not in sale in UK on top of the fact you don't need lights to shoot sharks
A good cost effective focus light is made by epoque and another one by FIT those are in sale in UK retailers

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll just go with two strobes instead.

What camera have you got? The YS-02 are manual strobes I would recommend the YS-01 at least

I've got a Canon G12 in Canon housing which was 'adapted' to fire two Sealife strobes via fibre optic cable.

I would recommend you buy a single Inon D2000 instead of two YS02
The D2000 has external TTL that will be extremely useful with the G12 and make the most of your macro and close up shots
Two strobes would only be a good thing for wide angle but the G12 is quite limited at that so that would be a waste of strobe power and more money spent on arms

The G12 can't use the TTL feature in manual mode, it can only use the sTTL in aperture or shutter priority mode...which sounds like a pain in the arse.

The G12 can't use the TTL feature in manual mode, it can only use the sTTL in aperture or shutter priority mode...which sounds like a pain in the arse.

With the D2000 that has an onboard light meter you can use the camera in manual with flast at minimum and the strobe will do TTL by itself. You just have to match the aperture you select on the camera on the strobe dial.

If you want to use S-TTL you need to use CHDK and my script look in the canon corner section

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom