HELP: One-night liveaboarding out of Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
HELP: One-night liveaboarding out of Cairns?

I am planning a one-night liveaboard dive excursion out of Cairns while there on a trip to Australia. Who to trust? It seems like there are so many operators...

Evan

Most are ok, Depends on what sort of money you want to spend the diving you want to do and the type of service you are after.

Send me an EMail if you like and i will point you in the right direction for your needs. I Worked on the Cairns boats for a few years

Also vist http://www.diveoz.com.au
And ask your question there

I spent several days on the Yankee Clipper, which is run by a local shop called down under dive. It was great fun. The food was great. The staff was great. The ship is not cushy and luxurious but it's large enough and there are plenty of heads and showers. Because it stays a short trip away from Cairns it doesn't get to the best parts of the reef, but I still did some memorable diving.

I would not recommend this boat to my mother but if you're adventurous and don't require 4 star accomodations you can have great fun on the Yankee Clipper.. You will also meet some very interesting folks from all over the world.

The next time I go to Australia, however, I'm going with Mike Ball.

Compass
My Wife worked on Compass as a Hostie for 2 years, The boat directed at the BackPaker and lower end of the Market, expect alot of noise and drinking on this puppy.

Reef Encounter
A much nicer boat less crowded, better food, same type of diving

http://www.reeftrip.com/

When are you going diving in Cairns? I am going to be in Cairns November 7-12. A buddy and I are going through Down Under Dive on a 3 day/2 night livaboard on the Atlantic Clipper and getting our AOW while we are there. I have already been traveling for almost 2 months in China and Japan and can't wait to get to Australia (next week). I am also hoping to do some diving in either New Zealand or Hawaii because I will be going there next. I hope you having some good diving down under. By the way, what part of Oregon are you from. I have some friends with me that fo to school there.

Cheezbay: We're going to be in Cairns sometime between the 6th and 10th of December. It would be great if you could post your experience on the Atlantic Clipper..

Thanks from Corvallis, OR.

Evan

Oh well. I'm just a USA-centric yank. I can't help it I guess. It has been a few years since I've been on the ship and I got the name mixed up.

One of the great things about it is that there is no set schedule. You can show up on a random Wednesday and book a single night on the ship.

Cheezbay,

I got my AOW the same way you plan to do it. Are you doing referral dives with DUD or are you taking the classes and pool sessions with them? If you are taking the classes you might want to read the SSI book and do the homework before you get to Australia (good plane reading). I found it really frustrating to be doing the reading and homework with the distractions of Cairns all around me.

Have fun. DUD's liveaboard certification program is a great way to be introduced to scuba. The dives are easy and fun and the staff will take good care of you. They always made me feel safe. You might find, as I did, that 3 days on the boat just isn't enough. At the end of my AOW class I cancelled a land tour and remained on the boat a few more days to do more diving.

Four last bits of advice for your trip:

Sunscreen
Sunscreen
Sunscreen
or full length lycra dive skin

I snorkeled for 45 minutes with my backside in the air and got a sunburn so bad I could not sit down.

cheezbay once bubbled...
When are you going diving in Cairns? I am going to be in Cairns November 7-12. A buddy and I are going through Down Under Dive on a 3 day/2 night livaboard on the Atlantic Clipper and getting our AOW while we are there.

I don't think you are talking about the same certification. I already have my open water cert. I am just getting my advanced cert while on the dive trip. All that includes is 5 training dives in different areas followed by extensive briefings. I am not very familiar with SSI, but the way they talked about it sounds more like a PADI course. I live in Oklahoma and it is hard to find anything besides PADI. I had a great instructer though and have continued to dive with them and others ever since my cert. I will post about my experience with DUD as soon as I get internet access after the trip. Right now I am in Japan and have good access, but I don't know what it will be like in Australia.

There was a small group taking it when i was on the boat.

cheezbay once bubbled...
I don't think you are talking about the same certification. I already have my open water cert. I am just getting my advanced cert while on the dive trip. All that includes is 5 training dives in different areas followed by extensive briefings. I am not very familiar with SSI, but the way they talked about it sounds more like a PADI course. I live in Oklahoma and it is hard to find anything besides PADI. I had a great instructer though and have continued to dive with them and others ever since my cert. I will post about my experience with DUD as soon as I get internet access after the trip. Right now I am in Japan and have good access, but I don't know what it will be like in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom