Help on which Tank Valve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, ive been collecting tanks for my personal diving. I do technical and recreation.

Im a bit confused on what's the best tank valve height for....

1.) Stage Tanks / Deco Tanks

2.) Backmount singles diving.

My choices of tank valves available in my area are

1.) DGX Premium. Theyre very low profile
2.) Thermo - Theyre taller than DGX
3.) San-o Sub - they're cheaper

I would go “cheaper” but maybe only one to test out other wise thermo is a known quality.

I'm slowly switching over to the DGX valves from Thermo but only for ease of service because the DGX valves don't use a crush washer.

Tall enough for my fingers to fit when lifting/carrying it.

The DGX modular have 2 heights, and the lower is too little room. The "long-neck" modular version is great for AL80 stages. The DGX pro (non-modular) is much cheaper and is in-between those in height -- it works well enough for me. IIRC, Thermo has a little more room than the DGX non-modular, but I don't have any in front of me to verify. I also have the XS-Scuba with fat knobs which I would prefer to be a little taller, but not enough to buy new valves.

I'm slowly switching over to the DGX valves from Thermo but only for ease of service because the DGX valves don't use a crush washer.

which one do you use? the Modular valves? (which can be converted to doubles) ? or the standard one... i think its 55$

and how do you use them? as single backmount? or stage bottles?

you me
Tall enough for my fingers to fit when lifting/carrying it.

The DGX modular have 2 heights, and the lower is too little room. The "long-neck" modular version is great for AL80 stages. The DGX pro (non-modular) is much cheaper and is in-between those in height -- it works well enough for me. IIRC, Thermo has a little more room than the DGX non-modular, but I don't have any in front of me to verify. I also have the XS-Scuba with fat knobs which I would prefer to be a little taller, but not enough to buy new valves.

you mean the dgx stand alone valve? how is it as a stage bottle valve? i think it's 55$? compared to the modular 75$

the stand alone as a backmount single tank is ok? doesnt hit the head right?

Yes, the DGX "Premium Pro Standalone Valve" is the non-modular I referred to. It's fine for a stage bottle and costs 25% less.

Valve length is usually immaterial for backmount, since you put the valve where you want it. I suppose that could push the tank low enough that the upper tank band is off the shoulder of the tank, but the difference is less than a quarter-inch or so. (Alternatively, the slots are cut awfully high in the plate.)

Back
Top Bottom