help on using dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shangrl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
need advice. purchased oceanic versa pro computer and am going on dive trip next week. am recently certified so obviously a little green about using computer. it seems so overwhelming even when i use the cheat card that came in the box. what do i really need to master about it before my trip??? will be diving with a DM and will tell him I am new at this. feel intimidated by all the functions on computer. please advise.
thanks

Shangrl:
need advice. purchased oceanic versa pro computer and am going on dive trip next week. am recently certified so obviously a little green about using computer. it seems so overwhelming even when i use the cheat card that came in the box. what do i really need to master about it before my trip??? will be diving with a DM and will tell him I am new at this. feel intimidated by all the functions on computer. please advise.
thanks

Maybe go through the manual with the computer in your hand and someone with you that understands it; is that possible for you? You're from Dallas, if you bought the computer at scubatoys you're in luck because for sure there's someone there that will guide you through it.

It's really not complicated to use, probably more work to set it than anything else. Once you're diving, the numbers you need to pay attention to most are depth and NDL, and you'll want to be really familiar with the ascent rate graph. Surely you can find those in the manual, right? After that, look for the nitrogen bar graph which represents your nitrogen loading, you'll want to keep an eye on that as well.

As a brand new diver, it's likely you'll go through air fast enough to not be pushing your NDL. Probably the most critical thing is to pay attention to the ascent rate graph, and let the computer help you to develop good control over your ascent rate.

Have fun, i sure hope your dive trip isn't to Cozumel

i did buy my computer at scubatoys so you are right! :) I will certainly ask them this week before i leave. hopefully, can fit it in on my lunch hour. not going to coz. going to grand turk which looks like it is under tropical storm alpha at the moment. do you think my air usage will improve over the trip as i get more relaxed? will be there 10 days. thanks for your advice.

Regular dive experience is the best route to SAC rate improvement. It also helps to work on buoyancy control, trim, kick stroke form and general relaxation.

that is what everyone tells me...to dive often will help with all of those skills. gracias

I think the thing to focus on is the LCD display. Make sure
you understand what each area of the display is indicating.
Understand what makes it beep and how to resolve the warnings.

There are tons of fancy modes and alarms that you don't have to
use initially.

The good thing about the Versa Pro is that it will pretty much
"just works" out of the box with factory defaults.
It will even turn itself on when you jump in the water if you
forget to turn it on.
There is no "off" button. It will turn itself off.

For dive planning make sure you understand how to access the dive log.
You will need this information for planning future dives if
you are using tables.
If you want to plan based on the computer calculations rather
than tables you'll want to understand the dive plan mode.

If you want to play with it and don't have time to jump
in Larry's pool. There is a simulation/demo mode that will
allow you to simulate dives so you can see what the LCD
display will look like and what actual dive data looks like.

There are some funky things that seem a bit quirky
(at least to me)
- during the first 10 minutes after you surface certain things
work differently.
- dives start/end at about 3 to 4 feet.
So on an ascent, the dive will end before you are actually at the
surface and the display changes.
- If you are on the surface and it "thinks" it is not dark enough,
it will not turn the light on when you push the button.

Although it seems pretty intimidating, once you play with it a bit,
its not too bad.

Oh, and I'd make sure to take the manual on the trip just
in case you need to look up something.
The cheat card didn't seem too helpful to me.

--- bill

Take the manual with you.

Dive with it. Use it a few times. Then go back & read the manual again.

I have the same comp. It's easy to use, but it will make more sense to you after you get some experience in the water with it.

If you're not diving nitrox yet, ignore that section for now.

DO read the part on deco mode. While you may not intend to go into deco mode, on the chance that you do goof up & do so somehow, you need to understand what the comp is telling you to do so you can do it. It's not real complicated, just be sure you'll recognize it if it happens.

I bought one of those and sent it back. The quarter turn system on the back is terrible.....especially on the wrist mounts.

As how to use it. Try to get whomever you dive with to give you
a couple of minutes to look at it while under without having to move anywhere. Ascend a foot or two and notice the change and then descend a foot or two and notice that change. When you do final ascent, watch your ascent rate scale closely.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom