Help newbie find a mask/prescription/Mares X-vision Liquidskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

temet vince

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I bought a used mares x-vision liquidskin (not the mid version). It fits great, feels great. That's where the greatness ends.

It leaks. Period. Still fits great though.
It fogs. Period. No amount of toothpaste scrubbing fixes it.
It has no field of view. Period. Although everyone seems to say it's great, the fact is it sucks. I feel like I've got an awful case of tunnel vision, and when I put on my friend's sea dive mask, I was blown away by how much more I could see.

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere, so big scuba stores are difficult to come by. Is there any easy way to find a mask? I'm afraid maybe my face is a bit small, but the mares fits really well, and my friend's sea dive mask, while not fitting on my face well at all, didn't leak, or at least not very much. I'm in love with oval masks, but they are rare and I don't think I've ever seen one for smaller faces.

Is fogging an issue on every mask? The mares mask fogs within 30 seconds of putting it on, all the time, every time. That's using spit. Will anti-fog work better?

I can't wear contacts, but my vision is bad enough that I need something so that I can see underwater. Are the correctional lenses on some masks cheaper than others? It's rough, because I can't really dive to try out different masks because I can't see, but I can't purchase correctional lenses for masks that I haven't tried out.

:(

I don't have a real solution for you. I have been having a hard time finding a mask that doesn't leak and I'm on my 3rd now. Mine fit fine in the store, and then slowly leak underwater :(

My husband uses an Atomic Aquatics Subframe mask with prescription lenses and loves it. If you're going to buy another, maybe try that one? Good luck!

I don't know where to start, but let's give it a shot.

First, all masks leak, just the nature of the beast.

Second, if your mask is fogging up in 30 sec, you are exhaling through your nose. Stop it! If you can't stop exhaling through your nose, then use the water leaking in to clear it and purge your mask. We use Sea Gold and it works great for us.

The search for a perfect mask parallels the Doonesbury character Zonker's "Quest for the perfect tan". Every shop I hit, spend the waiting time trying on masks in my search for the prefect fit. No other way to do it.

Thank you. The mask has stopped leaking. For some reason, I think my snorkel pulls it away from my face just enough to let a trickle of water in. It's fine if I dive without a snorkel.

I went to the dive shop the other day and a mask they had actually suction cupped to my face without me breathing in. I pushed it up to my eyes, and before I could breath, it grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I think I may have found the one! Lol.

Really though, thanks for the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom