Help needed with digital projector and powerpoint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sometimes you just gotta hate technology!!

I have a digital projector that I use. It is fairly new. For some reason (it's me I'm sure) I can't get it to pick up my computer.

I've probably messed up the settings somehow.

I know it is connected correctly. It turns on. Bulb is okay. On my laptop I press the Function F5 to turn on multiple monitors.

I turn down the resolution on my laptop screen.

Is there anyone that can give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong??

I don't know what I did, but it seems to now be working. Perhaps it was the threat to take it diving with me.:D

Now for the next problem:

When I'm running powerpoint on 2 screens with the slide show going to the default monitor which happens to be the projector I would like to see the "Normal View" on the screen of my laptop.

When I choose to view the show (F5) I get the "Presentor View". I know that if I set up the show and uncheck the "Show Presentor View" it solves that problem, but then I can't run the show from the "Normal View". I can start the show, but can not advance the slides onto the default monitor, i.e. projector.

Any ideas?

Your first problem may have been because the projector wasn't set to the correct input - most projectors have a TV (RGB or s-video) input and a computer (VGA) input or two. Some projectors don't detect the signal automatically and have to be manually set to the right input. If the projector is set right, but your signals still not getting to it, best bet is to reboot the laptop, with the projecter plugged in and turned on.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean in your second comment - do you want to see different views on the two screens (i.e. the whole-screen presentation on the projector, but the slide sorter or slide editor on the laptop)? If that's what you're shooting for then I think you're out of luck - AFAIK powerpoint can only run in one mode at a time, even if you're using two screens.

As for switching slides during the presentation, this is easy. The space bar, left mouse button, and right arrow all automatically advance your presentation to the next slide. The back arrow can be used to move backwards if you need.

Hope that helps

Bryan

Thanks Bryan.

What I want to do is have the projector show just the slide, while my laptop shows the normal view (with the slide, notes screen, and outline screen). That way I can see and access the speakers notes but everyone else just sees the slide.

Ann Marie:
Thanks Bryan.

What I want to do is have the projector show just the slide, while my laptop shows the normal view (with the slide, notes screen, and outline screen). That way I can see and access the speakers notes but everyone else just sees the slide.

Based on what you wrote before, you have this working (thorugh presenter mode). But for some reason you want to use a different mode. I don't think this will work; the other modes are intended for editing, not presentation. You may be able to advance the slide show by clicking on the relevent slide in the "normal" view, but I'm not sure if that'll do the trick.

I'm not too sure why you want to do this - the presenter mode should display your notes on the laptop screen, in text largr then the text you would see in the "notes" section of the normal view.

Here's some unsolicited advice, from someone who does a lot of powerpoint presentations. I always memorize what I'm going to say. That way I don't need presenter mode, paper notes, etc. It also allows me to adjust my talk on the fly to deal with the crowd, timing, etc. It requires a little more practice before hand, but usually makes for a much more interesting and dynamic presentation. And when I say "memorize" I mean that I know what info I want to pass on at each slide - I "fill in the blanks" as I go.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom