Help Needed, Visiting the Indonesian Islands for the First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what's its worth....

I love (one of) the Gili Islands off Lombok. For me they are magical- no cars or motorbikes, good food, beautiful beaches, and the best chill spot on the planet. Realize I do not really go there for diving. It is ok, and if you go you will see more turtles than you can... You will see so many turtles you will grow tired of turtles. It is a perfect place for new divers to train and grow their skills. The water is warm and the dives range from super chill to some decent current. The Gilis are also a great option when traveling with non-divers. I can do a dive in the morning, be gone for 90 minutes, and then back to chill with my happy wife. Understand the best diving in Indonesia offers very little for those who don't dive. The Gilis are a great compromise with something for everyone.

Gili Trawangen (Gili T) is very much a party spot. I would not call it Miami... more like backpacker Thailand full moon parties. If I were 25 it would be awesome. Im not and its way not my style.

Gili Meno, at least before the pandemic, was trying to redefine itself from the super sleepy rustic island to the posh private villa Island. It is super close to Gili T. so one can head shuttle over to party then head back to the fancy place. I'm sure that plan is on hold...

Gili Air is for families and grown-ups. There is enough going on at night and good restos to keep people like me happy, but not enough to attract the high-fivin' cheeseballs from Gili T... if that makes any sense. I LOVE Gili Air.

I hope that helps.

For what's its worth....

I love (one of) the Gili Islands off Lombok. For me they are magical- no cars or motorbikes, good food, beautiful beaches, and the best chill spot on the planet. Realize I do not really go there for diving. It is ok, and if you go you will see more turtles than you can... You will see so many turtles you will grow tired of turtles. It is a perfect place for new divers to train and grow their skills. The water is warm and the dives range from super chill to some decent current. The Gilis are also a great option when traveling with non-divers. I can do a dive in the morning, be gone for 90 minutes, and then back to chill with my happy wife. Understand the best diving in Indonesia offers very little for those who don't dive. The Gilis are a great compromise with something for everyone.

Gili Trawangen (Gili T) is very much a party spot. I would not call it Miami... more like backpacker Thailand full moon parties. If I were 25 it would be awesome. Im not and its way not my style.

Gili Meno, at least before the pandemic, was trying to redefine itself from the super sleepy rustic island to the posh private villa Island. It is super close to Gili T. so one can head shuttle over to party then head back to the fancy place. I'm sure that plan is on hold...

Gili Air is for families and grown-ups. There is enough going on at night and good restos to keep people like me happy, but not enough to attract the high-fivin' cheeseballs from Gili T... if that makes any sense. I LOVE Gili Air.

I hope that helps.

It helped me! Thanks

And please, stay well and be safe.

And please, stay well and be safe.

Thank you for the kind words. All is well for us. We are very fortunate and grateful this is so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom