Help needed selecting a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm not new to UW photography, but my favorite Sony Cybershot flooded on my last trip (first dive of the trip, too . . . so sad). Subsequently, I used my husband's brand new Canon G9, which was fun, but there were some things I didn't like about it.

Now it's time for another trip and my head is spinning with all the things to consider in replacing my Sony.

I know I want a compact, digital, "point and shoot." I can do fine with the MFR. housing (Sony, Canon, etc.) since I don't dive more than 120 feet.

I have an accessory strobe (synch's to the camera's flash) which I haven't used because DH wouldn't let me mess with his brand new camera.

I also have all the old memory sticks from Sony as well as some of the accessories from Canon.

However, what I didn't like about Sony was the fact that the white balance sucked, and I couldn't figure out a way to adjust it to my liking.

What I didn't like about the Canon was that the camera lens obscured the internal flash for macro, creating obnoxious shadows. Plus, I had to reset it to macro every 2 minutes or so, because it wouldn't stay there while I was diving. So, I'm reluctant to get one of those (besides, we already have one, so it might be a little redundant. Though on the other hand it might be handy to have a backup housing in case one of ours floods. Couldn't use both cameras on the same dive, though, anyway, so that probably wouldn't matter.)

Sorry for all the rambling. I've procrastinated so long that now I have less than 3 weeks to decide and obtain the gear.

Any help in my decision-making would be VERY appreciated.:blinking:

I haven't used one yet, but after much research and help from the folks on here I just ordered the Canon A570 (due this week I believe too) to use for my diving pictures. I have a sony that I love for my regular camera but I didn't want to risk it underwater.

I got it for $307 with the Canon housing off Amazon. Looking at the pictures I have seen on this forum done with the camera I am looking forward to great things.

HTH
JP

northwestdiver,

1. Take a look at this Scubaboard thread for some recommendations.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/230726-dive-camera-setup.html

2. When you get to Alcina's post, make sure you click on the "pink" link in her signature line for some great info on camera selection and a myriad of other digital camera tips.

3. I'm partial to Canon "A" series (570IS, 630, 640, 720IS, etc) cameras because of the great capability for a price that is hard to beat if a Point & Shoot is what you are looking for. The Canon G9 is also a great camera but a bit more expensive and larger in size. If you want to see some pictures taken with a Canon A720IS just click on the Picasaweb link in my signature line below and then select the Sipadan DEC 07 Underwater folder.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks for the input, both of you. I was wondering, though, about the lens shadow effect on any of the Canon's. I know from experience that the G-9 I've used creates a shadow which covers about 1/3 of the photo area in macro. Do the A-series have that same defect?

Are you using the diffuser when taking macro? I thought it was meant to solve the shadow issue.

No shadow with a diffuser here. I have the A720IS Canon. Check out my gallery.

Thanks for the input, both of you. I was wondering, though, about the lens shadow effect on any of the Canon's. I know from experience that the G-9 I've used creates a shadow which covers about 1/3 of the photo area in macro. Do the A-series have that same defect?

Definitely need to be using the diffuser like AndyT mentioned. But, I have noticed a shadow effect in the lower right hand corner of close-up macro shots but can usually correct it by moving back a bit and compensating with the zoom. If I ever break down and get an external strobe I expect that will no longer be a problem.

I use the G9 with the diffuser and little problems here. I just do as the poster above mentioned and back off at least 3-4 inches and zoom in a bit. Nice thing about that camera is it'll tell you minimum focus distance when you zoom in.

For the resetting issue I set up a custom setting with my favorite settings... macro, raw, 125th of a second, auto wb, flash on, etc and use it anytime I want to shoot macro.

Back
Top Bottom