Help needed: Sea & Sea MM II EX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings all

I considering buy a Sea & Sea MotorMarine 2 Ex and need help on what accessories I should purchase with it like what lenses and strobes etc? How should I go about learning how this thing works and what type of film should I use?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanx
Paul

My first suggestion would be to seriously consider going with a digital set-up. For about the same price as the MMIIex, you can get a very nice digital rig. But if you'v already made that decision.....

The first thing to buy is Joe Liburdi's book The Complete Guide to Sea & Sea available at Amazon.com. It will explain how the camera and accessories works as well as basic explanation of composition. Another good book for all photographers to have is Jim Church's book on composition.

When I had my MMIIex, my two favorite lenses were the 16mm wide angle for scenic and close up wide angle shots and the 2T macro for the really close ones. There's also a 20mm wide angle and a 3T macro. You'll need the Optic High Point Viewfinder. There are masks inside that let you frame the three lenses properly since the viewfinder is pretty much useless.

If you're going to use add-on lenses, I high recommend adding a lens caddy to safely carry your lenses on your dives and not have to put them in a pocket. And if you plan to change lenses underwater, you'll want the security of a Save-A-Lens Kit. It's hard to see in the photo but it's an unobtrusive cable system that keeps your lenses tethered to your camera in case you should drop one. After losing a lens in the deep blue...I won't change lenses in the water without one!

As for strobes, Sea and Sea YS90DX is my choice. I've always used and liked S&S strobes and the YS90DX will serve double duty if you ever do switch to digital.

Excellent advice from Dee. I don't have any accessories to add to the list. I'm also new to UW photography and decided to get started with film and the MM II-EX. I picked up everything on e-bay and got some pretty good deals. Got the camera, the book, strobe, 20mm WA, lens holder and high eyepoint viewfinder. I ended up with good equipment and spent less than half what you'd pay for new stuff. A housing for my digital camera alone would have cost $800, and it's too new to find on ebay. I'm still not sure I made the right decision, though. I think I'm going to miss the advantages of digital. We'll see :confused:

good luck!

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom