Help me research a video setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been using a Nikon dSLR in a large housing, with double strobes, multiple lenses, multiple ports, etc.

Now I want to downsize to a compact system, and move more towards video. But I still want to be able to take photos (or grab quality video stills). It would be nice to have the option of easily changing from wide angle to macro during a dive.

I'm not interested in GoPro, and I don't want to spend $5,000.

I'm looking at packages for the Olympus TG-6 and the Sony RX100 VII.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

My wife has the TG (5) and really likes it. I also recently bought her the Sea Life Micro 3.0. This may be what you're looking for if you're looking to move more to video with capability to take good photos. The 3.0 takes great video and pictures. Hers is set up with a Sea Dragon 3000 lumen video light. Seems to work well and is not as "complicated" as a dual strobe system, etc. I use a GoPro and find it works well for both, but you stated you don't want that.

@Nemrod has been doing a lot with his setup lately and may have some good opinions for you. The biggest thing is to not skimp on the lights. Bad light with a great camera=bad quality, great lights with a mediocre camera will still be good quality.

Just added a small/mid size video light (Backscatter Macro Wide 4300) to my TG-5 set up should have some video to share when I get back from Bonaire in July.

Not affiliated, but do own several of their products and have purchased others thru them over the years.

This
The biggest thing is to not skimp on the lights.

You can get great video with the most basic of setups provided you have good lights. I have a GoPro7 with 12k lmn V6K Scuba Lamp lights, though these recently flooded and have now gone with a pair of Keldan 10k lmn mainly for the depth rating.

Outstanding
Just added a small/mid size video light (Backscatter Macro Wide 4300) to my TG-5 set up should have some video to share when I get back from Bonaire in July.

Not affiliated, but do own several of their products and have purchased others thru them over the years.

Superlative and outstanding! Do these lights allow the color change that you recorded behind the frog fish?

Outstanding

Superlative and outstanding! Do these lights allow the color change that you recorded behind the frog fish?
No, that is not my video, I wish it were and some day I hope to get to Lembeth, it is a promotional video from Backscatter, and it's looks to me like they are using two lights for those color shots. One, off camera, with the color filters to light the back ground, and one on camera with the snoot to light the subject. Sorry for the confusion, I hope I get some footage this summer that is half as nice😉

@Nemrod has been doing a lot with his setup lately and may have some good opinions for you. The biggest thing is to not skimp on the lights. Bad light with a great camera=bad quality, great lights with a mediocre camera will still be good quality.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am more a photo guy than video. I am very much impressed with the results I see for both video and stills and in particular macro with the TG6. It looks to be a fun camera. My main issues with it are the small sensor and the lack of manual control.

I swear, I could almost talk myself into the TG6 but probably in the Nauticam housing or that Kraken housing and a Nauticam WWL-C lens. The Sony with full manual control and a large one inch sensor is a step or two above the TG6 and again, I am a fan of the Nauticam housings.

I kind of like this light, paired up:

And for strobes, Inon S2000 is popular, though the above light is said to be capable of providing enough light for macro still exposures.

It is challenge to downsize and combine macro and wide angle and do both video and stills. Compromises have to be made somewhere. I think I would go with two S2000 strobes and a single good wide angle video light if photos were primary interest and if video is the main interest then just the opposite, dual video lights and a single strobe.

Luis with his TG6:

James

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom