Help me plan a dive-focused itinerary in Eastern Australia in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello divers,

I am expecting to be in Sydney for work for a few weeks in early November 2024. This is my first time to this part of Australia (I previously did a 3-week trip diving and traveling around Western AUS) and I don't want to miss out on some of the highlights! I may have limited time, 1-2 weeks (ideally if I can get the highlights in 10 days, that would be best) but am not particularly budget-limited and plan to take internal flights to reduce time traveling to different locations.

A bit about me - solo female in my 40s, rescue-certified, have dived all over the world in various conditions, done 10 different liveaboards, and while I appreciate fish and coral diversity and beautiful colours, big animal diving is what keeps me getting back into the water (sharks, rays and the like!). Happy for your tips and recommendations on where I should make sure I dive, who to dive with and what locations I should prioritize over others based on what I am looking for and the season I am diving in.

Loose itinerary: fly to Byron Bay, few days, transfer to Brisbane Airport for onward flight to PPP near Airlie Beach or Hamilton Island airport in the Whitsundays for a few more days and then onward flight from PPP up to Cairns for final days.

1) Ideally, I would like to hit Byron Bay (for the town and vibes) and to do Julian Rocks. I have heard good things about Sundive but see they do not have dives on Monday or Tuesday so happy for other reputable shops you may recommend. Is a double dive day enough to see the site or would it be worth a couple of double dive days? (or just going out in the morning, for example)?
2) Recommended private or semi-private direct transfers from Byron Bay to Brisbane airport? (to get there in time for an early PM flight)
3) Recommended sailing trip companies in the Whitsundays with dive options OR resorts on Hamilton Island that offer diving? I would be keen for a smaller boat that explores different islands/beaches and does some dives (I'm also in that tweener age group where I would not enjoy a bunch of backpackers on board but also am solo and looking to be social with other mature adults). Are the Whitsundays worth it for diving? Any sites I should try to ensure I get to?
4) Recommended outfitters to see the GBR/Coral Sea out of Cairns? Mike Ball comes highly recommended but looks fairly booked up for that time of year even now and I do not think I can do a full week LOB this time. For big animals, are the Ribbon Reefs/Coral Sea my best option? Would I miss out on the best sites if I only went for 4 days? (if I can find a boat with space doing this type of itinerary)

I probably want to do too much in too little time since AUS is so far away from where I live and I will not be able to return very easily, but happy to hear your thoughts on what I should DEFINITELY DO if I need to narrow down my itinerary a bit. I also want to see land-based stuff in AUS too and enjoy what the towns have to offer!

Thanks all!

I'm Cairns based so can help you out fir up there. Most travellers are single and wherever you go you'll get buddied up.

Plenty of overnight trips to chose from and the Far Northern Ribbon Reefs are arguably the best.

You may get spots on Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball but they do book out months in advance. Both run twice weekly.

Lots of day trips as well that offer a decent selection of Outer Reef areas.

Too much to run through all options here so drop me a DM if you need more info.

To be honest, I would do the following:

• some dives in Sydney, Bare Island and/or Kurnell to see unique things like red indianfish, Bare Island anglerfish, big belly sea horses and sea dragons
  • then go to South West Rocks to do Fish Rock Cave and the grey nurse sharks, two days minimum
  • then to Byron Bay to do Julian Rocks
  • then to Queensland, but not Whitsundays as the diving there was never great and was greatly damaged after cyclone in 2017
Look at my website for information on the sites. Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Back
Top Bottom