Help me identify this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle0692

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
09D3A574-3764-4CDE-A94F-2D353A7BEEE5.jpeg
Hi all,

I tried following the link to the critter ID subforum with no luck (page error) and needed a hand ID’ing something I saw today down in Jupiter that interested me.

To me, it looked like a pair of small Christmas trees blue/white that has grown on top of a small coral growth in about 70 feet of water. As I got closer for a photo, the pair of “trees” retracted.

Looking online there are Christmas tree worms and also coral. The worms look similar, but I didn’t see an obvious worm body when the trees retracted.

I have attached a photo of what I saw.

Your help is appreciated!

Kyle

They are Christmas Tree Worms, they create a tube and embed themselves into the coral and retract when disturbed. What you saw and show in the photo are the breathing and feeding structures that the worm extends outside of the tube. These occur in different varieties pretty much worldwide in tropical oceans.

Back
Top Bottom