help me decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melanie White

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm getting all my gear real soon minus regulator I already have it. Help me decide if I should get better cheaper options.

Or any suggestions?

AquaLung Soul i3 BCD Medium Black/Charcoal/Twilight $699.99
Aqualung Legend LX resperator Twilight normally $785 got a deal for $575 new in box
AquaLung Legend Octopus $235
AquaLung 2 Gauge Console Imperial $205
AquaLung Shot FX Open Heel Fins Small Twilight $169
Atomic Venom Frameless Mask, Black Skirt Black/Black $169.95
Aqua Lung Squeeze Lock Titanium Knife, Tanto Tip Black $64.95
Oceanic B.U.D. Backup Dive Computer, Yellow Yellow $199.95
Oceanic Pro Plus 3 Computer with Compass, QD & USB Cable $583.96
Bigblue AL1200NP 1200 Lumens LED Light $159.99
AquaLung Impulse 3 Flex Snorkel Black/Twilight $49.99
Aqua Lung Ergo Neoprene 3mm Low Top Socks with Grip Small $24.00
sharkskin ladies chillproof short pants for scuba size 4 $79.99
Sharkskin ladies chillproof short sleeve size 8 $97.46

Also buying hubbys gear all about the same prices though.

Get rid of that that danged I3 inflator. Get the BC without it.

I greatly dislike console computers and much prefer wrist computers and a plain analog gauge (SPG).

Why do you need the AL console if you are getting the Pro Plus 3?

What works for one person certainly may not for another...you're going to get mind boggling opinions that could run you straight to the tequila bottle.

Buy what you can afford and like....besides, no matter what you end up buying, you're eventually going to buy something different down the road:)...try it...like it....use it.....not like it....sell here in the classifieds and buy something different:)

if you don't plan on cold water diving (i don't know how cold arkansas gets), the mikron with octo combo from northeast scuba will save you 400

Aqua Lung Mikron Regulator with FREE Octo!!!

dgx bpw is 400 less, but if you don't want to go for a bpw, a zeagle covert is also a lot less

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

Zeagle Covert BCD

Drop the console (get a wrist or retractor compass for 40 or so), bud, and knife (get a trilobite or emt shears), that saves another 500.

dgx 800 light is nearly 100 cheaper than the big blue.

atomic mask is overpriced, could probably find something for 100 less than that

that comes out to about 1500 you could save pretty easily.

It seems @Melanie White already bought her reg set.

Cheaper AquaLung octo - ABS Octopus $155 ABS Octopus

Not sure if Melanie is going to dive cold(er) water or not, but this octo doesn't say it's for warm water only, per the AL website.

Agreed on the DGX light.

Not going to argue about the mask. If a mask fits, it's worth every penny.

I really like the Aqualung wrapture harness system, great when you have to pack gear for a shore entry, you can put the weight on your hips instead of just the shoulder straps. Using it on rental BCD was the deciding factor in me buying an aqualung Dimension. I also like the gauge and octo pockets, a bit different on my dimension but the rental I've used was like the Soul.

Not so sure about the i3 - maybe save some cash and go for the non-I3 model - but since I've never used the I3 maybe I would love it.

I have the same knife & could not be happier.

I see your selected fins have bungee straps - which I always recommend.

In the end pick the gear you like best and you'll be happy with it.

Last edited:
Difference between the non-i3 and i3 models is $100. My regular dive buddy has a BC with it. I dislike it. It's an answer to a problem that's not there.

@Marie13 is right. The i3 has, IMO, a significant safety issue if you EVER flex and kink the tube that carries the dump mechanism. If you're already committed to the i3, then be very careful about folding it after diving. I would never travel with it and jam it into a suitcase.

I think the i3 is a gimmick that is not warranted - I would not get it.

If you get open heeled fins with neoprene socks, and they're a good fit, be aware that if you decide to change to booties at a later date, your fins may be too small, and you may be required to buy a bigger pair of fins. There are some places where you will want the protection of booties. For Cozumel, neoprene socks are ok, but if you need to walk anywhere, you'll want to have booties.

If you get sharkskin top and pants, I would opt for long sleeves and legs instead to prevent cuts, scrapes and stings and the like.

@Marie13 is right. The i3 has, IMO, a significant safety issue if you EVER flex and kink the tube that carries the dump mechanism. If you're already committed to the i3, then be very careful about folding it after diving. I would never travel with it and jam it into a suitcase.

Other issues I have with the i3 - it's non standard. Many people will have no idea what to do if there's an emergency. I always remind my dive buddy that when he dives with someone else, he has to tell them exactly how to deal with it. There are also issues if you take it on vacation and a part breaks on the i3. You're SOL if the local dive op can't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom