Help me decide - Roatan v. Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoSiouxme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I've cross-posted this on the Bay Islands forum to up my chances of many responses.

I'm organizing a small group of divers and non-divers for a vacation during Thanksgiving week. We have narrowed our choices down to Belize (Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye) or Roatan.

I'm leaning towards Roatan because there seems to be more to do topside for the non-divers and the diving is excellent. I've only been to Roatan during May and am concerned about the conditions in November - but I imagine I would have the same conditions in Belize as in Roatan, no?

I have only been diving in Belize from a cruise ship and have heard that the diving is first rate.

We are planning on renting small houses/cottages for the group and want to have at least one property with a proper kitchen so as to prepare a quasi-traditional feast.

Which location would you choose and why? Major factors are cost, diving conditions, topside activities, and weather.

I await your learned responses.

--Sioux

Check out www.ambergriscaye.com for tons of info on what you are looking for. I think there is plenty of things to do for the non-divers in the San Padro area..even more if you take tours to the mainland. There are also plenty of rental houses on Amberbergris caye that will fit your needs.

No Roatan experience but I've been to Belize and don't think you can go wrong there. There is plenty to do topside on Ambergris. Caye Caulker is a bit slower, but there are great house rentals on the island. And if you're with a group, you've made your own nightlife. We're going to both CC and AC in May, can't wait.

Dave

My only Belize diving was on Glover's so no Ambergris or Caulker experience, but we enjoyed both Utila and Roatán last summer. Both countries have mainland activities worthy of notice, hiking, ruins, etc. Lots to do on Roatán for nondivers, but I'd be checking out the weather and use that as a deciding factor. The 2 places actually have very different weather through summer and fall, I think. Belize's classic rainy season is summer and for northern Honduras it's Fall. I've heard that it can rain non-stop for days there. Our rainy season experience in Belize was frequent showers at night and almost non during the day - only 1 day of full rain in a month of travel. You'll want to keep a close eye on tropical depressions and potential hurricanes during that time of year as well.

Last summer we rented a little house from the place linked below; a number of houses close together were available. It's since changed hands but I think still rented.

http://roatanet.com/caribbeanseashore/

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

I went to Turneffe Atoll and Caye Caulker last July. Turneffe Atoll is a better place for diving--it is the most biologically diverse atoll in the Western Hemisphere and the diving is amazing. But, that is all there is to do. Caye Caulker has a lovely slow place and reminds me of Key West a little. Downside--no beaches so you would probably prefer Roatan. The diving is great--we saw turtles and eagle rays and plenty of fish. I am planning to go to Utila in April so maybe then I can compare the two but I don't think you can go wrong either way!

I vote for Roatan. I've been to both and Roatan remains in my top dive sites!

Hi. I have been both to Roatan and Belize--both in the off season (fall) and found top side there was more to do in belize. Yes, beaches are better in Roatan--particularly West Bay beach area (I think that's what it is called--we stayed there) and we had an afternoon free and just drove around and went to a horiculture park that was nice. In Belize, it is much easier to see the Mayan ruins--it can be done in a daytrip--not so in Roatan--Copan is a couple of days, at least to get to and visit. The cave tubing is also different and fun in Belize. There is more in Ambergris than Caye Caulker to do.

agree wit the other replys that Belize has a lot more to offer than Roatan for the non-divers. The is a new island resort that has opened about 10-15 minutes from Belize City. They do all of there diving at Turneffe Island (45 minute boat trip), plus have sea kayaks and inland trips. The fact that they are so close to the city, makes 1/2 day and day trips very easy.... here is the website.

www.belizeadventurelodge.com

We had a blast in Belize a few years ago but have spent our last 2 vacations in Honduras. Unending inland adventure there, too, IMO.

Honestly - you can't miss!! Pick one and start planning your next trip to the other right away. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom