Help me choose between drysuits!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I currently dive an old DUI CF300.Fits me great. Very satisfied with the suit, I've put on new seals, new valves and a new tizip front zipper.

But I've been offered a good deal on a scubapro fusion suit, which is basically a rebranded whites. The only issue I have with the cf300 is that it is 16 years old. That being said it has never leaked. But in my mind it's starting to get old.

So from those of you who have tried both suits, which one do you prefer? Is there any noticable difference in the water between these suits? Is the age of the DUI suit something I really have to worry about?

I have never tried a DUI, but have mainly dived shell-suits with frontzips for the last 12 years, and been happy with that. Now I have a Bare Trilam Tech, which I am not too fond of, but it is probably not any worse than the other shell-suits I have had, rather the opposite I would say, at this suit fits me better, and is lighter.

What probably changed my feelings was the Whites Limited Edition Tech Fusion. It was not perfect, as it was a bit of a struggle, and time-consuming to get into, and it took a lot of time and effort to clean (for me at least, as I had to clean it in my shower) and drying took several days, due to the neoprene outer-skin.
However, It is my favorite drysuit of all times, as it had perfect fit, could take as much clothing under as I could desire (or as little), weighed very little when dry, and spread the air in the suit perfectly, and not to mention full flexibility.

I am really tempted to get another Fusion, but think I would go for the back-zip model, mainly for ease of dressing.

I never had a leak in the Fusion as long as I owned it (3 years), but the neoprene outer-skin had some quality issues, especially with the seam in the crotch, although I didn´t find the hole that developed there a bad thing, as it helped with drying the suit :)

I have a shell suit and my wife has a Fusion. She hasn't done a dive in it yet, but she's in love. It's all the benefits of a shell suit, but reduced drag due to the outer piece. She has no issues dressing into it, but there are tricks you have to learn when donning it. Of the Fusions, the Sport dries the quickest and the Bullet dries the slowest. Her sport dries VERY quickly.

I have the Bullet, and yes it takes time to dry, however, i cant express enough how much i love it. I used to be an avid hater of drysuits....in general they suck...but the fusion is a really nice suit, no matter which skin you choose.

If the tech and bullet skins on the fusion take a couple of days to dry, that's the same as my CF300 does. But what I'm really interested in is wether the fusion will be a step up from the DUI or if they feel more or less the same in-water.
Also I've heard that the CF material gets better with age, is this true? Should I really be concerned with the age of my current suit?

If the DUI feels like a wetsuit in the water, while giving you full mobility, then it is just as good as the Fusion.

But, you are happy with your suit, it does not leak, and is pretty much new except from the suit material itself, why change? You know what you have!

If you then feel you need a backup suit, the Fusion is great, as it is light, takes up very little space, and will fit you no matter what. Just remember that the eventual pockets on the Fusion is not perfect, and an outer-skin with no pockets in combination with a shorts with pockets may be the best solution.

If the DUI feels like a wetsuit in the water, while giving you full mobility, then it is just as good as the Fusion.

But, you are happy with your suit, it does not leak, and is pretty much new except from the suit material itself, why change? You know what you have!

If you then feel you need a backup suit, the Fusion is great, as it is light, takes up very little space, and will fit you no matter what. Just remember that the eventual pockets on the Fusion is not perfect, and an outer-skin with no pockets in combination with a shorts with pockets may be the best solution.

Yeah, pretty much the same conclusion I came to. I'm gonna stick with my DUI suit, I really don't see the need for a backup, and in reality I don't think the fusion can offer me anything that the DUI can't.

Thanks anyway for helpful replies!

If your suit doesn't leak, and you're not in desparate need of a backup.....dive that puppy into the ground and only replace it when it becomes a sieve.

Back
Top Bottom