Help me build your dream diving app!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

angiec

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a UI/UX student (and an avid diver) looking to build a weather, wind, and water forecast and statistics web app for fellow divers. I know other students have asked for help on ScubaBoard before but it has been about 1.5 years since the last request and I'm hoping you all would be willing to help out again.

In order to make my app stand apart from existing weather apps, I'd like to understand more about what motivates you as a diver and what information you'd like to have at your finger tips (i.e. not limited to just weather) whenever you go diving. If you could spare 10 minutes to take this survey, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

http://bit.ly/2021divesurvey

Combine these app into one and you'll have a winner.

This app predicts wind forecast.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.windyapp.android&hl=en_US&gl=US

This app relays NOAA buoy data.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sherpaoutdoorapp.noaaweatherbuoys&hl=en_US&gl=US

This app relays tidal data.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SeventhGear.tides&hl=en_US&gl=US

Link NOAA forecasts into the app. Here's an example of three locations I check often.

National Weather Service Marine Forecast

National Weather Service Marine Forecast

Offshore Waters Forecast (Gulf of Mexico)

I recall there are satellite photo feeds as well that you may be able to relay that data. This can be helpful for seeing what visibility may be like underwater.

Anything else is really not necessary in terms of diving. Most dive computers log the data and there are apps out there, like Subsurface, which really don't need much improvement beyond what they already are doing. I doubt you would be inclined to try and mimic that app, which includes a comprehensive dive planner with decompression and technical dive planning. You would be up against the creators of Linux.

I’ll take the survey. i hope you have considered ice thickness.

@CuzzA thank you! Those were actually the two apps I looked at when I did my initial competitive analysis. Love Windy.App's community features, and of course NOAA's beautiful displays. Your input is very helpful.

@JBFG i hadn't before but definitely will consider it now. Appreciate it.

Thank you everyone who has taken it!!!

I'm a UI/UX student (and an avid diver) looking to build a weather, wind, and water forecast and statistics web app for fellow divers.

That is a great goal but you should really focus on mean square wave height instead (or something alike).

I know other students have asked for help on ScubaBoard before

This is irrelevant

I'd like to understand more about what motivates you as a diver and what information you'd like to have at your finger tips (i.e. not limited to just weather) whenever you go diving.

The average wave height? It is quite an issue in maritime traffic too!

Can you forecast UW visibility based on global surface water temps and rain fall? Yes? No?

There are two things that motivates us divers and those are
1) survival
2) health
3) visibility

This means cataloguing time x depth and calculating a grand sum and then telling us how swiftly we can resurface. This is called decompression theory and is developed by the very best hyperbaric researchers in the world. Visibility is another matter. We do know that rainfall and all the muddy waters what enter our dive site do compromise visibility!

I tried but as a vacation diver w/ over 100 dives I get my conditions info from looking out the window. So about the only survey question that fits my diving is my age.

I want an app that will fill my tanks with trimix for all of my internet diving needs.

Back
Top Bottom