Help Instructor to make students Pro-Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standingbear56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Everyone,
This is my 1st post on the Shark Forum. For some reason with all my posting on SB, I missed this one, to my deep regret.
My problem is one that everyone who dives has run into - the question of "What about sharks?" of of course "Aren't sharks dangerous and aren't you afraid of them?" While of course I answer truthfully as I can, is there any materials that I can get that will really send the correct message. I am totally pro marine conservation and definitely Pro Shark, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Standingbear,
Show them this video clip, produced by the Save Our Seas foundation a year or two back. Nothing I've ever seen makes the point so dramatically.

YouTube - SOS Rethink the Shark Advert 3

Also remind folks that with respect to Shark vs. Man, it's the sharks that are losing, big time. While shark attacks are rare, we've reduced the population of some species by about 90%.

The simple fact is that sharks need a new and better PR agent.

Thanks for caring
Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell them they are more susceptible to death by falling coconut or vending machine than by sharks.

Seriously, good educational materials can help allay some of those fears, especially if they show divers in the water with the sharks and no threatening interactions (by either party!). My Sharks and Rays of Southern California DVD has footage of divers in the water with blue and mako sharks with no problems encountered, although the major focus on the 7 episodes is on the natural history of the sharks rather than human-shark interactions.

Standing Bear56,

Tell them about all the different shark encounters people have all over the world on a daily basis. Unless you are baiting, most sharks don't want anything to do with a diver.
It's very hard to get close to them with out bait in your hand.

The reason I learned to scuba dive was simply as a tool to get closer to sharks. I am fascinated with them. To be honest, I only dive locally, Great Lakes wrecks & quarry, as preparation for shark encounters. Unless they are going on a dedicated shark dive...they have nothing to worry about, because there aren't that many sharks to see on regular dives. There are people with thousands of dives who have never seen a shark, because they don't want to.

Tell them the facts about sharks, and tell them to quit watching SHARKWEEK and they'll be fine. hahahahaha

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the advice. I do relate my own shark experiences with all my students (they are indeed all positive experiences by the way) as well as my appreciation and awe of these animals. Many times though, they look at me as if I had a flashback to my Woodstock days. Hence the inquiry for materials.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

There are many organizations that promote educational materials and have files to download for teaching. I enjoyed the information on the NOAA website and refer to it when I am asked questions. NOAA Fisheries Shark Web Site I also have gone on expeditions to do more than diving, but to particpate in research. The whale shark expedition I did 12/07 with the SRI was the most incredible 5 days of my life! Eco diving is something every diver should try. It is more rewarding than just looking at the pretty fish!
Shark Research Institute
http://www.neil4sharks.org/educationprograms.html
http://sharkrodeo.com/home.php
http://www.sharkdivermag.com/

Happy diving with sharks!

Carolyn:sharks:

I remember watching something with "tonic relapse" or something along those lines. Trained divers would free dive then grab some where along the nose and the shark would just sleep. Then when the diver let go it would become active again and show submissive signs. Nothing has softened me to sharks more than that.

I remember watching something with "tonic relapse" or something along those lines. Trained divers would free dive then grab some where along the nose and the shark would just sleep. Then when the diver let go it would become active again and show submissive signs. Nothing has softened me to sharks more than that.

YouTube - Shark Week 2007 - Hypnotizing a Deadly Shark

This was amazing!
Carolyn:sharks:

The questions about sharks come in every class. I once helped one of my younger students inspect the pool for sharks. None were found.

I've had a lot of great experiences with sharks, and I want my student's to that opportunity, too so I give them the facts. Shark attacks are quite rare, deaths even rarer. The ER in Daytona beach equates sharkbites with dogbites.

As for attacks or deaths, divers have nothing to worry about. According to the international shark files, 10 deaths in one year worldwide is higher than average. That many people give birth on the NYC Subway every year. 10 times as many are killed by ostriches every year.

The fact is, sharks are very targeted predators, and we just don't look like food. We're too big to eat, we move wierdly, and we're LOUD as hell. If it comes down to a bite (see above), we don't taste right, and they will generally spit and run away.

The sounds we make underwater are a deterrent, too. Dolfins pods use bubbles to herd schools of baitfish into a tight ball then take turns feeding. We make that same noise when we exhale, and sharks would just as soon keep their distance.

If you want to get away from a shark, here are the some tips not in the books:

An irritated shark will typically swim with exaggerated motions. A seriously irritated shark will also arch his back. It's most certainly a bluff, and the shark is probably about to swim off. How luck do YOU feel today?

Sharks typically like to attack from below, so get on the bottom.

Two people very close together look like one big one to a shark's electrical sense, so get really close to your buddy. Hugging is permitted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom