Help ID this compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I bought this from the owner of a couple commercial spearfishing boats in jax.
He said it was a utilus but when I look at utilus prints it doesn't look the same.
Also I would like someone to Identify the filter assy.
Where is a good place to puchase the filter assy. and other compressor parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 126
It is a very old Utilus. I can tell by the first stage design. I sure hope you saw it run up to pressure (3200 PSI) before purchase. If the cooling tube bundle has any leaks, you will be looking for someone with excellent brazings skills. You won't find any cooling bundles readily available.

You need to take the filter cartridge out ( if it is a cartridge) and post a picture. The tower looks like an old Mako and may use a L-Factor X65240, but without seeing it I can't be sure.

Craig

Looks a lot like my k-13 / utilus. I think there were two versions of the utilus, one looks more like a junior and one looks more like a capitano... Yours (mine too) looks like the older version which is similar to the capitano. The third stage outlet valve is discontinued, but I managed to find a new one for mine. I think the manual here is somewhat similar to your compressor though more modern of course.

Not to contradict craig (he knows a lot more than me about these things), but it is possible with the right fittings and ss 6mm tubing to replace the interstage cooling lines yourself. It is labour intensive so only reasonable if you do it yourself.

Does it run right up to pressure right now?

Craig
you were dead on about the filter.
It is the x65240.
Any idea where I can get a replacement housing?

WWUNDER,
I have not ran it yet.
I have to replace the motor and change the oil in the compressor.
Where is the best place to get the oil ?
Thanks,
al

If you are looking for a replacement filter tower and the necessary components to go with it, there are several sources, including L-Factor. However, I wouldn't spend any money on those components until you actually get the machine up and running.

Natural oil for the compressor is Delvac 1230 which is a Mobil product.

Craig

Craig is right, get it running and then look at your filtration etc... I use secolube from lawrence factor (I get it from Aqualung Canada locally), but there are lots of oil products available for bauers.

Does it spin easily, pull suction on the inlet? When you do fire it up, it will make a clanging noise for a few seconds until the oil pressure comes up. Its a little disconcerting the first time, but its normal due to the floating third stage piston.

Depending on the Seccolube product, you are either getting Delvac 1230 (550) or Chemlube 750 (500). Both the petrolium based and synthetic are Bauer recommended. If I were trying to get a compressor up and running, I would check the oil level, make sure the machine rotates freely and then run it to see if it achieves full pressure.

wwunder, the clanging noise at start-up has nothing to do with oil. It has to do with pressure build up until the floating piston is pushed down onto the guide piston, basically making them one entity. The clanging is the guide piston hitting the bottom of the floating piston. This noise will continue until down steam pressure builds sufficiently to allow the floating piston and guide piston to become "one". A PMV that is functioning properly resolves this quickly.

Craig

Thanks for all the helpfull information.
I have checked the oil and it is crystal clear and at the proper level.
The compressor turns freely and draws a suction at the inlet.
The motor was no good, so I have to get another one,
The captain that sold me the compressor told me the motor was bad and said the compressor worked. Right now I have to go on his word. I know a few of the guys that have worked on his boats and he has a good reputation. He bought it as a spare when they where having troubles with thier air lines but switched to stainless.
I think the major problems are going to be from him storing it in the fish house for the last few years, but hopefully alot of the damage is cosmetic.
thanks again for the info. and I am sure I will have more questions when I get a motor.
al

Back
Top Bottom